Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be> on 2007/07/16 11:22:33 UTC

Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Hi all

As some of you may already know, the fop-dev team is currently in the
process of preparing a new release. With this post, we would like to
gather some ideas on what the user community would like to see
incorporated in FOP 0.94.

Note that the release will already contain some cool new features
compared to 0.93, like support for border-collapse="collapse", auto-
detection and -registration of available custom fonts and
improvements in handling internal destinations...

What we are currently looking for are not large improvements (like
table-layout="auto", which we are well aware is still missing), but
more the elimination of small annoyances, little things that could
mean a great deal to you.

So, shoot away, and we'll see what we can do. No suggestion will be
dismissed without consideration. Even if we do not implement the
suggestion immediately, if it's interesting enough, we will
definitely keep it in mind as a possible priority for the next release.

We would also like this to be an opportunity for users who are in a
position where they are able to check out and build the 0.94 release
branch that has been created (*), to see if we have overlooked
anything in our testsuites. If any bugs or unexpected results turn up
in your real-time scenarios, we would of course appreciate it very
much if these are uncovered before the actual release.

As always, we value your input and feedback.

Thanks

Andreas

(*) http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_94/

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by Thomas Zastrow <li...@thomas-zastrow.de>.
Andreas L Delmelle schrieb:

> We would also like this to be an opportunity for users who are in a
> position where they are able to check out and build the 0.94 release
> branch that has been created (*), to see if we have overlooked
> anything in our testsuites. If any bugs or unexpected results turn up
> in your real-time scenarios, we would of course appreciate it very
> much if these are uncovered before the actual release.

Hello,

I tried my "st scripts" (http://www.thomas-zastrow.de/st/) with the 0.94
release branch, works perfect!

Thank you!!!

Tom

--
----------------------------
http://www.thomas-zastrow.de

German Forum - DTP under Linux:

http://www.opendtp.de

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by HLeonardi <le...@free.fr>.

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hugues,

Posted by HLeonardi <le...@free.fr>.

Re: Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by Luís Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt>.
In FOP 0.93, page references are kept in ways that preserve the whole
original pages objects. No problem with that except that this process is
TOO memory intensive and exausts the heap memory if you have too many
pages, segments and references.

What i would like to see in a future FOP release would be a "minimalist"
object that retains only the "references" after the page is created,
allowing the "unload" of the whole page. When the "reference" is
requested after it, the current page sequence would be queried, and if
not found, the "minimalist" collection would be searched. If the
reference isn't the the collection either, it would give a "reference
not found" error as it gives today.

That mechanism would allow for huge documents, with huge lists of
references, to be created without compromising the heap memory, because
only the current sequence would be kept in memory.

Cheers,
LF

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Jul 16, 2007, at 11:57, gmannelli@eastway.it wrote:

Hi

> Are there perfomance enancements?

Yes, in comparison to 0.93, there should be /some/ performance
enhancements in terms of memory usage, especially in the FO tree, but...

> I mean about the page sequence memory
> consuption issue that prevent to use FOP in a production env for
> reports
> bigger than 500 pages?

... this particular issue is still open. The root 'cause' for this
limitation still exists in the 0.94 release, and has to do with FOP
waiting for an endElement("page-sequence") event from the parser
before entering the layout-phase.
The enhancements that were introduced could slightly increase this
limit, but only marginally AFAICT.

As recently indicated in another thread, we welcome any suggestions
in this area. The discussion is very much being kept alive. The more
heads involved in it, the greater the chance those issues will ever
get resolved.

Some ideas on improvement have been discussed on fop-dev earlier this
year, but it was clear then, that it will by no means be a
straightforward task, let alone a one-man-job.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by gm...@eastway.it.

Posted by VH <vi...@c-s.fr>.
Hi,

I wish that one day, fop will support the element fo:change-bar described in
the   http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#fo_change-bar-begin xsl
spec 1.1 .

I know that this is impossible for the next release, but in the future it
will be great that fop integrates this object.

Thanks. :)

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by Loran Kary <lo...@mac.com>.
The default locations look good.  But I know there are some
differences between Windows TrueType fonts and Macintosh TrueType
fonts.  They use different tables for certain things.  I would be
nice if FOP could be made to work with Macintosh TrueType fonts.

-- Loran Kary

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Loran Kary <lo...@mac.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kamal,

FYI, the Unix autodetect feature looks in the following locations for
fonts it can use :-

java user.home + "/.fonts",
"/usr/local/fonts",
"/usr/share/fonts",
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"

As Jeremias says, you can configure FOP to look in a particular
<directory/> (see http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html).

Adrian.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Kamal <bh...@tt.com.au>.
>> I guess float support is also out of the question, but that is top
>> of my wish lists.
>

> Unfortunately, yes. If I judge the status of the Temp_Floats code-
> branch correctly, it is not yet ready to be merged back into the
> trunk anytime soon... That said, the branch is there. The only thing
> lacking is heads and hands to work on it.

Pity

>> Working with tables and XSLT is painful. I don't know if it is a  big
>> or small change, but as I pointed out in previous posts, I  think
>> having no integer support for keep-together, keep-with-next,
>> keep-with-previous is a major flaw as it makes it next to useless  to
>> me[1].
>

> This would be a rather big project, IIC. Not necessarily difficult,
> but a lot of work. AFAICT, there have been no parties yet that have
> started to gather ideas. We'll see if we can at least start a Wiki
> about this, where you could follow the status and comment in on
> possible implementations.
>
>> Also, it would be nice to see the table continuation labels
>> extension return to FOP.
>

> I noticed indeed this recently popped up as a reason for some to
> still prefer using 0.20.5 over 0.93. This will have to addressed
> sooner rather than later.

That would be nice.

>> On the topic of extensions, I found the way borders work at the
>> region level counter intuitive when combined with columns (ie, if
>> you specify a border, it puts it around each column, not the
>> region). It would be nice to have as an extension to FOP that made
>> this work sensibly, eg, a set of region border attributes. Hope  that
>> makes sense.
>

> It does. On the other hand, I'm just now wondering whether your
> problem here cannot be solved by using fo:block-containers to hold
> the borders... Have you tried this?

I will have a go. I assume you mean put the content that will be
columnised into a block container and put the border around the block
container?

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi Kamal

Posted by Kamal <bh...@tt.com.au>.
I guess float support is also out of the question, but that is top of my
wish lists. Working with tables and XSLT is painful. I don't know if it
is a big or small change, but as I pointed out in previous posts, I
think having no integer support for keep-together, keep-with-next,
keep-with-previous is a major flaw as it makes it next to useless to
me[1]. Also, it would be nice to see the table continuation labels
extension return to FOP.

On the topic of extensions, I found the way borders work at the region
level counter intuitive when combined with columns (ie, if you specify a
border, it puts it around each column, not the region). It would be nice
to have as an extension to FOP that made this work sensibly, eg, a set
of region border attributes. Hope that makes sense.

Auto detection and auto registration of custom fonts sounds good. Can we
have more info?

Kamal.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=fop-user&m=118171831815966&w=2

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by Carlo Cardelli <cc...@iv-srl.it>.

Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

> Hi all
>

> As some of you may already know, the fop-dev team is currently in the
> process of preparing a new release. With this post, we would like to
> gather some ideas on what the user community would like to see
> incorporated in FOP 0.94.
> As always, we value your input and feedback.
>

> Thanks
>
> Andreas
>
> (*) http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_94/

If I'm still on time to contribute, I'd like to see bug #40798 fixed.
(page-position="last" doesn't work for 1 page document)

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=40798

Maybe, supporting page-position='only' should not be a great deal (?), and
could strongly increase support for administrative 1- or 2-page documents
(invoices etc.)

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Quick survey: upcoming release of FOP 0.94

Posted by Nicol Bolas <jm...@comcast.net>.
This ought to be pretty fast to implement (maybe?):

2up and 4up. That is, generating PDF files that conceptually use the page
size of the XSL-FO document, but render their contents to half or a quarter
of an actual page (of a size specified in the command-line).

Posted by Roland Neilands <rn...@pulsemining.com.au>.
To redevelop something that worked before to look exactly the same
because HP dropped their own format? No, no budget yet & no sense of
futility either. :)

I've set this to do the font bitmapping, not sure that it's working as
the font sizes aren't right, but they don't overlap so much:
conf/fop.xconf:
    <renderer mime="application/vnd.hp-PCL">
      <!-- render all text as bitmaps using Java 2D -->
      <text-rendering>bitmap</text-rendering>
    </renderer>

It looks the same as the PDF version on other printers though, so I
can't reproduce it personally ...
I'll try to get an example.

Regards,
Roland