Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/12 02:04:30 UTC

[HEADS-UP/Discussion] Artemis: Planning a release soon

I believe we should be ready for a release the end of this week, early
next week.

I was going to call it 1.0.1 since my original plan was to keep
calilng these 1.0.1, 1.0.2, ... 1.0.n until the JIRAs on the release
1.1.0 were fixed.

however since the addition of the first MQTT protocol, that makes it a
new / major feature.  I'm not sure we should call it 1.0.1 or 1.1.0
now.

We have also fixed logs of bugs.. and I'm currently doing some work on
examples (adding an openwire example and doing some work on open wire)

There are a lot of fixes around openwire as well.

Any ideas on the release name?

Re: [HEADS-UP/Discussion] Artemis: Planning a release soon

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.
1.0.1 is fine I think

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
My recommendation is to use semantic versioning and stick with it:

* x.y.z
* z = bug fixes only
* y = any new features or changes to existing features
* x = any backward compatibility loss in APIs / usage of the product

With that said, whatever approach is used, let's make clear guidelines and
stick with it.

The biggest advantage of sticking with semantic versioning is it's
wide-spread use in the industry, with maven, and in the open source
community.  For example, IIUC, maven will allow a dependency upgrade at the
minor version level but not at the major version level (when there are two
dependency chains leading to different versions of the same artifact).

Re: [HEADS-UP/Discussion] Artemis: Planning a release soon

Posted by Clebert <cl...@gmail.com>.
. To be honest I
> guess it doesn't matter if it's 1
> 0.1 or 1.1 but to me 1.1 implies a milestone of some sort has been reached.

The current branch has Mqtt and lots of improvements compared to 1.0.0. It's not just a minor update.

So it is a milestone to me.

Anyways. Users are more likely to look at major updates than patch releases.

If this was just bug fixing the it should be a patch release I agree.

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.
Using the same argument say in 10 months there were 1.1 thru to 1.10
versions released then a bug fix would need applying to 10 versions. Yes
Artemis is production ready as it's matured as hornetq, but it's not
production ready with regard to activemq functionality. To be honest I

Posted by Clebert <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to add, I think from 1.1 we do it the way suggested i.e  minor
> versions for patch releases etc but until Artemis can be regarded  as a
> possible alternative to activemq I think stick to 1.0.1, having lots of
> major versions will just confuse people imo

1.0.1 would sound that we are just fixing small things....   I think
we should go with 1.1, 1.2, 1.3....  We could bump it to 2.0
eventually.  I don't think it's going to confuse users.

I know you are in vacations (what are you doing here BTW? :) )... and
I will be out next week.. we can resume this thread when we are back.

Re: [HEADS-UP/Discussion] Artemis: Planning a release soon

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I think 1.1.0 fits better too, both for whats actually in it now
and also for a future approach like Claus mentioned.

Robbie

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi