Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/03 13:35:40 UTC

Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
For Apache MyFaces, we created the following for twitter and posted it
to the private list.

username: MyFacesTeam
pw: xxxxxxxxxx

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

RE: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by "Durchholz, Joachim" <Jo...@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de>.
> Thanks for your comments. I am not quite sure what to make of
> them all, but perhaps a point of reference which would help us
> understand: what are you comparing Cayenne to? Hibernate?
> Something else? No ORM at all?

I'm being bitten by Hibernate.

> I ask, because promoting Cayenne seems to fall into two categories:
> 1. Cayenne is a more suitable tool for the particular task than other ORMs,
> 2. You'll want to this this ORM thing instead of putting SQL into your code.
>
> They are quite different audiences for any messages we are trying to get out.

Actually, I'm both audiences.
I do have a lot of bulk SQL in my code, and I'd love to get rid of it - mostly for cross-database portability reasons, but also because dealing with the data at both the SQL level and the ORM level has turned out to still be an impedance mismatch.
I doubt that and ORM is good enough at bulk SQL for productin use, though. It would require a lot of database strategy intelligence in the ORM layer; Hibernate's HQL comes close (but fails from lots of deficits in the details, so it's far less useful than it could be).

The difference I meant to highlight is that favorable mention from users is going to be far more convincing than blog posts from devs. When selecting an ORM, I like to see testimonies from three kinds of people:
1) Those who are just beginning to use it. This allows me to judge the height of the entry barrier, and estimate how hard it will be to convince colleagues and superiors to give it a try.
2) Those who are in the process of learning it. What are the barriers that they hit? How much help to they get, how much help did they need? This allows me to give my superior a rough estimate on how long and painful the transition phase will be (whether transitioning from JDBC or Hibernate).
3) Those who are in the maintenance phase. Cayenne is already in regular use for them, so what's their 20/20 hindsight on it? Where are the limits, did they need to push the envelope, how much did the envelope-pushing help? This will allow me to give a rough estimate of long-term benefits.

Devs can't answer any of these questions, not easily anyway.
Interviews might be the way to do.

Regards,
Jo

RE: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by "Durchholz, Joachim" <Jo...@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de>.
Sorry for the late answer, it seems that "marketing" in the subject makes the company mail server refuse to accept the message.

> Btw Jo - if I remember right, you have made a similar choice like
> I did in the past.

Not sure what your choice was.

> Are you willing to share your experience?

I can, but it's going to be sobering: we'll probably stick with Hibernate after all.
See, we were starting with Hibernate, sunk two years of development into it, until we finally realized that it does not deliver on its promises, by design. However, outside factors are going to force us into the J2EE world, where the requests are short and which Hibernate was built for; unless Hibernate lets us down as badly as in the J2SE world, we won't change a running system. The main deterrent is still that exchanging a core component is risky, nevermend its overall quality; essentially, we're preferring the problems that we know over those that we yet have to detect and work around.

> I might think this will make up a good blog post. If you don't run a blog, we can arrange some kind of an interview in my blog.

An interview would be fine, if you still want it.

Regards,
Jo

Re: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> No this hasn't been discussed yet. How would that work - does the entire PMC shares a single password, or Twitter supports multiple users per account?

I have heard of other PMCs that they share a single account and the
password via private@ list. I think this would do the trick.

The accounts e-mail address is a bit more of a problem. Some people
don't like private@ as account email, because all the notifications
from twitter go to the ml. On the other hand, PMC can react easily
when using private@.

Btw, on comdev is currently a discussion on "how to get new
contributors" via twitter.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Cayenne marketing (was: Fwd: Second article appeared today)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On Mon Nov  7 23:01:18 2011, Durchholz, Joachim wrote:
> Twitter and blogging won't help those who already use it, and those who don't use it yet won't want to spend their time reading regular updates. That said, it might be helpful for those who consider using it but haven't found the time or resolve to actually do it; but these will be more interested in what newbie Cayenne users have to say than in what the developers think is the newest and greatest.
>
> What's important is to lower the entry barrier.
> E.g. make Modeler intuitive to use and cover all aspects that could be reasonably modelled. (My experience, as just one data point: I toyed with it for half an afternoon and found it a bit hard to get a handle on it and on what features it actually supports. Another detail might be that the tool should announce itself with a phrase that allows people to decide what they can and can't expect it to do; for example, that it is not supposed to model everything that their database can, but everything that... well, no idea what exactly its area of expertise should be.)
> The documentation is actually great as an overview. It touches everything one would ask when trying to determine what Cayenne can and cannot do. It is frugal with details though.
>
> My advice would be to get Cayenne ahead. That's going to gain more followers than trying to do anything marketing-wise - the marketing that led to my current interest in Cayenne wasn't twitter feeds or blog posts, it was favorable mention in online articles.
> What's important is what Cayenne can and what it cannot (or will not) do. Example projects would be nice; have a web service and a J2SE application (one of each kind). Have the example projects touch every complication once: long-running transactions, distributed commits, proxy objects, optimistic update conflicts. In the famous words of Linus Torvalds: "Words are cheap. Show me the code." (I have been bitten too many times by believing some project's overhyped self description. I bet a lot of developers out there share the experience, particularly those who are in a position to advocate an architectural switch. Nothing that the developers could write will help overcome that scepticism; only working code will, and it won't convince, at best it will lower the barrier. I, for an example, still haven't committed to Cayenne; the kinds of problems that show up in the mailing list are currently making me a bit more sceptical. I'm simply not prepared to spend several person-months
 on an experiment that may fail, my time budget does not allow this (unfortunately, I'd love to try Cayenne out).)

> Regards,
> Jo

Hi Jo

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.