Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/04 18:05:36 UTC

could not connect to server

svn is still unusable over slow line.

the error is:
A  svn/packages/win32-innosetup/templates/svn-doc.css
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: could not checkout a file
svn: GET of
/repos/svn/!svn/bc/5798/trunk/packages/win32-innosetup/templates/svn
-doc.css: could not connect to server

is there a possibility to get a more specific error message and maybe
find the reason for this strangeness? should not error messages be
more like "could not connect to server in blabla()" to give an exact
position in the code?

there is no proxy in between ...

Re: could not connect to server

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> writes:

> > I know there's no http proxy, but there's most likely -something-
> > wrong along the IP route to the host, like a flakey ISP.
>
> ping times to svn.collab.net (which was the server on the other end)
> were 250ms (normally) up to 1sec (rare exeption). no timeouts. line
> speed 48kb/sec.
>
> the reason for the connection problem is still not clear to me.

Not clear to me either.  Send me your IP address, and I'll grep
svn.collab.net's error logs and access logs.

Re: could not connect to server

Posted by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com>.
--- Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > svn is still unusable over slow line.
>
> Well, yes, there you go!  I was just thinking to myself, "gee, I
> wonder if subversion is usable over slow lines; I wonder if it
> makes
> efficient use of the network."
>
> But that error below -- "could not connect to server" -- that says
> it
> all!  I guess subversion is unusable, over slow lines in
> particular.
> Thanks for clearing that up.  ;-)
>
> > A  svn/packages/win32-innosetup/templates/svn-doc.css
> > svn: RA layer request failed
> > svn: could not checkout a file
> > svn: GET of

/repos/svn/!svn/bc/5798/trunk/packages/win32-innosetup/templates/svn
> > -doc.css: could not connect to server
>
> This is a TCP/IP error, not a subversion bug.  Neon is telling you
> that it actually failed to open a socket to the server.
>
> Try pinging the server, see if you're getting erratic ping times,
> or
> unexpectedly long delays.  The problem here is network
> connectivity.
> I know there's no http proxy, but there's most likely -something-
> wrong along the IP route to the host, like a flakey ISP.

ping times to svn.collab.net (which was the server on the other end)
were 250ms (normally) up to 1sec (rare exeption). no timeouts. line
speed 48kb/sec.

the reason for the connection problem is still not clear to me.

> > should not error messages be more like "could not connect to
> server
> > in blabla()" to give an exact position in the code?
>
> Yes.  If you had compiled with --enable-maintainer-mode, you would
> have seen an exact position in the code printed out.
i would prefer if there would be a download for this executable. not
everybody has the tools to build a windows executable. do you think
such a thing would be possible to make tracking down errors a little
easier?

-s.

Re: could not connect to server

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.