Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ratnakar Palle <rp...@cisco.com> on 2001/04/16 18:26:57 UTC

Problem in getting charset encoding

I apologize if this question has already been asked or answered.
I went through the archive mails but couldn't find any solution for it.

We are planning to develop a multilingual application using Servlet/JSP. The
servlet can receive the request from clients of different languages. By that
I mean, servlet hosted in en_US can receive requests from languages like
Chinese, Japanese, French etc.

My question is, How do I get the appropriate encoding of the client?

I've written a sample servlet like to know what some of the request methods
return.. Following is the result I got from servlet:

request.getCharacterEncoding() returns null
request.getHeader("Accept-Charset") returns null
request.getHeader("Accept-Language") returns en-us
request.getContentType() returns null

I'm using Tomcat 3.2.1 on Windows2000 and JDK1.3.0 ( with Java HotSpot
Server VM)... And, the browser is IE5.0

Any help or pointer would be of great help...

Thanks for all your time,
-Ratnakar