Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de> on 2008/09/26 16:58:33 UTC

Font Issue (Helvetica)

Hi,

I am trying to produce a pre-press ready PDF document (with embedded
fonts). But for some reason Helvetica will not be embedded correctly.
The configuration is correct (see below), the document properties of
Acrobat Professional 8 (see attached images) show that Helvetica is an
embedded font but when I run the preflight, all my text occurrences are
marked as "not embedded".

In the FO I am referencing the font this way:      <fo:table
table-layout="fixed" width="180mm" font-family="Helvetica"
font-weight="normal" font-style="normal">

Putting or leaving the metrics-url attribute in the config doesn't make
a difference.

FOP: Ver. 0.95
OS: Windows Vista Business

Config snip:
------
 <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <filterList>
        <!-- provides compression using zlib flate (default is on) -->
       <value>flate</value>
      </filterList>

      <fonts>
        <!-- register a particular font -->

kerning="yes">

          <!-- metrics-url="hv______.xml" -->

          <!-- metrics-url="hvb_____.xml"  -->

News des Monats: www.thermopal.de - E-Business Lösung mit System für Thermopal, eine Tochter der Pfleiderer AG: Neugestaltung, wegweisende Produktsuche und moderne Nutzerführung!

--
infolox GmbH
Maximilian Gärber

fon +49 8382 / 275 894-70
fax +49 8382 / 275 894-9
mob +49 176 / 20 10 33 24

mail maximilian.gaerber@infolox.de
www.infolox.de
www.selektofix.de
www.katalogfabrik.de
www.typo3-services.com

Rechtsform: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Lindau a. B.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Kempten
Registernummer: HRB 8161
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Bauhuis, Alexander Pircher, Richard Schmid

Re: Font Issue (Helvetica)

Posted by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de>.
Jean-François El Fouly schrieb:
> Maximilian Gaerber a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to produce a pre-press ready PDF document (with embedded
>> fonts). But for some reason Helvetica will not be embedded correctly.
>> The configuration is correct (see below), the document properties of
>> Acrobat Professional 8 (see attached images) show that Helvetica is
>> an embedded font but when I run the preflight, all my text
>> occurrences are marked as "not embedded".
>>
> Unless you have very specific needs such as PDF/A compatibility
> requirements, you need not, and in fact you should not embed neither
> Helvetica nor any other "Base14" font (Times, Courier, Zapf Dingbats).
> These are supposed to be available in all environments where you can
> read PDF (even if this implies a font substitution).
> Did you have a look at
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/fonts.html#Base-14+Fonts

Thanks for the quick answer. I've read this paragraph. But when I send a
PDF to the print shop they'll make a preflight and complain whatever
font might not be embedded. I have no idea why this problem occurs - The
font seems to be embedded but not "properly". Any workarounds?

Regards,

Max

Re: Font Issue (Helvetica)

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.fr>.
Maximilian Gaerber a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to produce a pre-press ready PDF document (with embedded
> fonts). But for some reason Helvetica will not be embedded correctly.
> The configuration is correct (see below), the document properties of
> Acrobat Professional 8 (see attached images) show that Helvetica is an
> embedded font but when I run the preflight, all my text occurrences
> are marked as "not embedded".

Unless you have very specific needs such as PDF/A compatibility
requirements, you need not, and in fact you should not embed neither
Helvetica nor any other "Base14" font (Times, Courier, Zapf Dingbats).
These are supposed to be available in all environments where you can
read PDF (even if this implies a font substitution).
Did you have a look at
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/fonts.html#Base-14+Fonts

Have a nice WE,

Jean-Francois El Fouly

Re: Font Issue (Helvetica)

Posted by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de>.
That did the trick... oh dear -a few hours of trial and error and I
didn't come up with this simple solution!

Thanks again, Jeremias.

Re: Font Issue (Helvetica)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.