Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/21 18:00:09 UTC

ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer

OK, I'm missing something. ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer isn't robust
when reporting errors. Why can't we pass the update request to
handleError along with the exception? In the case way down at the
bottom of the Runner class we don't have access to the request, but
it'd be null in that case indicating pathology.

Then the user could override handleError and have at least the
information about what documents failed to do something. Not very
elegant, perhaps, but at least _something_ and trivial to implement.

There are much more comprehensive JIRAs to address this, but this
really seems like low-hanging fruit. Or I'm missing something
completely obvious, but a quick test worked...

Erick

Re: ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Shawn:

What I'm proposing is about the simplest thing I can imagine, with
very little risk (not to mention the time I do NOT have to put into
this issue <G>). I'm viewing it as something close to "throw away"
that I'd expect to be completely superseded by a comprehensive
solution such as has been proposed by you and others (Per?). It just
gives something to the end users whereas they have very little to do
anything with now.

But if we can have confidence we'll have a better solution for 4.2,
then we can just ignore the idea all together...

FWIW,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.