Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by le...@hush.com on 2012/02/14 14:12:25 UTC

[Collections] Is commons collections dormant ?

Hi !

I was curious wether Commons Collections is dormant or not , since
last release is from 2010 and this release doesnt support generics.

With regards ,
Leandro A. Pezzente

Re: [Collections] Is commons collections dormant ?

Posted by James Ring <sj...@jdns.org>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Benedict,
>>
>> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> finally I've found the time to answer to this topic :) We had a similar
>>> discussion a while ago [1]. Back then James suggested to drop
>>> collections completely in favor of google guava. I have started to
>>> implement QueryableCollections in trunk anyway, because I still disagree
>>> with James.
>>> I would appreciate comments from one of commons collections commiters,
>>> if they would like to have something like that. I still think, that the
>>> possibility to query for elements would be a nice addition to collections.
>>>
>>> ATM I'm having some problems with the latest source:
>>> Name clash: The method get(K) of type MultiMap<K,V> has the same erasure
>>> as get(Object) of type Get<K,V> but does not override it
>>>
>>> Does anyone know something about that?
>>
>> That's a very unfortunate signature from the JDK interface and all I can
>> guess, why it defines Object as argument, is for compatibility reasons. If
>> we derive from the JDK interface, you cannot declare "get(K)", only
>> "get(Object)".
>
> Actually, I approve of get(Object).  No reason to stop Map clients
> from checking whether a given object is in the map, even if it never
> can be.

Why not just get rid of generics and go back to adding casts
everywhere? After all, there's no point of generics in Java except as
a safety measure at compile time. get only returns Object for
backwards compatibility reasons and it's a pain in the ass.

> Matt

Regards,
James

Re: [Collections] Is commons collections dormant ?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Benedict,

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.
As far as I can tell, it looks pretty generified ;) But as I said, I'm
having that name clash error.
Okay, so it is consensus, that no more effort (regarding new features)
should be put into collections?

Benedikt

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [Collections] Is commons collections dormant ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.
I looked at it again. I get it now. But it is really confusing... Forget
about it.

Good night! :)

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Benedikt Ritter
<be...@systemoutprintln.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the hint. Maybe I gave too little context to my question. I
> wasn't trying to add something to MultiMap<K, V>. It is checked in this way
> in the repo. So I guess get(K key) in MultiMap will never work and can be
> considered broken (and a ticket should be filed)?

Yes, this appears to have been a simple error on my part.  Not sure
why Maven compiles it happily.

Matt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.
Hi,