Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com> on 2006/06/01 03:46:14 UTC

Clarifying internal_networks

I was rereading the sections on "trusted_networks" and "internal_networks"
in Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, but something wasn't clear to me.

It talks about MXes and relays, but...  not about client workstations
that might
originate email locally and submit it via port 25 or port 465 (and not the
typical usage of submitting messages via a pipe into an exec'd sendmail
process
on the same machine, etc).

If I have a network 192.168.1.0/24, and I have workstations at 10-25 that
submit email, should I just have:

internal_networks 192.168.1.0/24

Thanks,

-Philip

Re: Clarifying internal_networks

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Thursday June 1 2006 04:05, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Simple rule:
> trusted_networks - set to cover all machines that might generate a
> internal_networks - Will default to match trusted_networks if not declared.
>
> 99% of the time, you just set trusted_networks.
> The only practical time the two differ is if you have a MTA that needs
> to accept mail directly from dialup users. Then you'd set it up so that
> machine was trusted, but not internal.

Just for completeness: besides DUL checks, it also controls SPF checks,
so it is imperative than MSA hosts are excluded from internal_networks.

  Mark

Re: Clarifying internal_networks

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I was rereading the sections on "trusted_networks" and "internal_networks"
> in Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, but something wasn't clear to me.
>
> It talks about MXes and relays, but...  not about client workstations
> that might
> originate email locally and submit it via port 25 or port 465 (and not the
> typical usage of submitting messages via a pipe into an exec'd sendmail
> process
> on the same machine, etc).

Don't worry about clients, Worry about servers. Client IPs are
irrelevant here.

The part you care about is matching anything in your network that would
appear in the "by" clause of a Received: header. (or the IP resulting
from a DNS lookup of that host name).