Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/15 21:43:56 UTC

Re: Glassfish code removing apache headers

On 5/18/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
> > I have been informed that the glassfish guys use some Apache code
> > where they have removed the Apache license header for the CDDL header
> > just keeping a small "Portions Copyright Apache Software Foundation.".
> > Shouldn't they keep both headers or is it ok?
> >
> > Files:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/src/share/org/
> > apache/jasper/JasperException.java
> > https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/appserv-
> > webtier/src/java/org/apache/jasper/JasperException.java?
> > rev=1.2&view=markup
>
> It is not okay -- in fact, it is explicitly forbidden by our license.
> Probably a simple misunderstanding -- I will see if Simon Phipps can
> correct it.

This is not yet corrected and a few weeks ago they changed the license
headers to be dual CDDL + GPL.

Niall

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> It seems to be Sun re-licensing ASF Apache Licensed code. - although I
> hesitate because AIUI Sun originally donated the code base for Tomcat.

They can only re-license the code they originally donated. The
current state of the code has been worked on by the ASF community,
and such they don't hold full copyright to it and thus can't re-license.

-pete

Re: Glassfish code removing apache headers

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

I think I didn't read the original carefully enough. I didn't
understand that the original code was Apache license.

Please ignore my comments as being underinformed.

Craig

On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Craig,
>
> "our" == "Apache"? Is Sun claiming authorship of those files in
> question? and relicensing it under another license?
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> On 6/15/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> IIUC, dual license here means that the user (Apache projects) can
>> choose whether to license the code under CDDL (good) or GPL (not
>> good).
>>
>> So for our purposes, we can choose to license the code under CDDL
>> which is compatible with ASL v2, and distribute the code with Apache
>> project distributions.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>
>> > This is definitely not acceptable! Though, Not sure what to do
>> next...
>> >
>> > -- dims

>> Apache code

>> appserv-

>> opinions
>> for

>> > --
>> > Davanum Srinivas :: http://davanum.wordpress.com

>> > DISCLAIMER: Discussions on this list are informational and
>> educational
>> > only.  Statements made on this list are not privileged, do not
>> > constitute legal advice, and do not necessarily reflect the
>> opinions
>> > and policies of the ASF.  See <http://www.apache.org/licenses/> for
>> > official ASF policies and documents.

>> > For additional commands, e-mail: legal-discuss-help@apache.org
>> >

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig Russell

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Craig,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
IIUC, dual license here means that the user (Apache projects) can
choose whether to license the code under CDDL (good) or GPL (not good).

So for our purposes, we can choose to license the code under CDDL
which is compatible with ASL v2, and distribute the code with Apache
project distributions.

Craig

On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> This is definitely not acceptable! Though, Not sure what to do next...
>
> -- dims
>
> On 6/15/07, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> header
>> Foundation.".

>> share/org/
>> >
>> > It is not okay -- in fact, it is explicitly forbidden by our
>> license.
>> > Probably a simple misunderstanding -- I will see if Simon Phipps
>> can
>> > correct it.
>>
>> This is not yet corrected and a few weeks ago they changed the
>> license
>> headers to be dual CDDL + GPL.
>>
>> Niall
>>
>> > Thanks for noticing,