Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/09/24 04:40:44 UTC

are multi-threaded builds still working reliably?

I tried out the multi-threaded builds again recently (https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/parallel-builds-in-maven-3.html) (maven 3.0.3) and got some really strange results several minutes into the build.

- the compiler plugin seemed to get corrupted source files and reported lots of nonexistent syntax errors
- transitive dependencies didn't work the same as with a normal build

I don't really have time to investigate what's going on but wonder if anyone has a stable large-project multi-threaded build running on a recent macbook pro with snow leopard?

OSX 10.6.8

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-10M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

thanks
david jencks

Re: are multi-threaded builds still working reliably?

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
There is also http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4996 , which might be
one of the problems you have. Unfortunately I have not been able to
reproduce this on any medium-sized or small project that I have
available, it only seems to happen on the really large ones.

(The reason for this probably being multistaged hotspot jitting, which
can occur on the 30th invocation of a given piece of code).

If anyone has a public project that exhibits this issue with any kind of
behaviour I'd love to have a look at it.

Kristian

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe it would be a good idea to mention this on the siki page?
>
> Anyone know why?  I thought maven used the eclipse compiler which is IIUC just java code so why would it behave differently on different os?

Maven uses the JDK, it doesn't know anything about eclipse.

Re: are multi-threaded builds still working reliably?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.