Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by "steve.hostettler" <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/13 13:18:12 UTC

Apache Ignite, Memory Class Storage, GPUs, and all that

Hello,

Having to explain the choice of Ignite internally, I wonder what is the
"official" position of Apache Ignite towards Storage Class Memory and using
GPUs.

On the SCM story, I guess it is just another way of allocating/freeing
memory in a kind of off-heap mode but on disk.

On the GPUs story, I guess is whether or not a library like jcuda can be
used inside Ignite transparently.

Could you elaborate on this topics?  But I would like to have more details
if possible.

Best Regards

Re: Apache Ignite, Memory Class Storage, GPUs, and all that

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hello Steve,

Starting with Apache Ignite 2.0 the project is no longer considered as an in-memory technology only.

The new virtual memory architecture that sits at the core of the platforms allows considering Ignite as an memory-first (memory-optimized) computational platform that distributes data and workloads across a cluster of machines storing it both in RAM and on disk.

The off-heap is a primary storage of your data. As for the secondary storage you can use SSDs, Flash, Intel 3DxPoint, etc. I think that GPUs can be integrated with the virtual memory as well going forward.

At all, now with Ignite you can gain in-memory performance with durability with disk cluster wide. This is one of the main things we need to keep in mind.

—
Denis