Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pascal Forget <to...@ubeans.com> on 2003/01/27 15:43:42 UTC

Starting tomcat from init scripts (HP/UX)

Hi All,

Tomcat starts fine if I call startup.sh manually, but not if it is called
from the init scripts when the HP/UX box starts.

When trying to start tomcat from the init scripts when the HP/UX
box is booting, tomcat seems to start up fine but then on the last
line in catalina.out it just says that it is shuttong down and that's
the end of it.  So the logs are not very useful for helping me
figure out what the problem might be.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and what was the fix?

Thanks,

Pascal Forget

Re: Starting tomcat from init scripts (HP/UX)

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yeah we had wacky issues with that too.

We had some incomptentant admins who tried starting up tomcat before the
network was brought up.

We also ran into wacky shell behavior (can't remember the specifics)
that java did not like to start on boot from any run level.

I think in the end we added an entry to /etc/inittab to a internally
written/adapted script which takes one arg of stop/start ... and does
the appropriate action to all our tomcat instances. I can post the
script if I can get permission.

Its a hard thing to test because in our 2+ yrs with our HPUX boxes - we
rebooted them twice. (And that was because the box needed moved across
the country)

-Tim