Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Ryan Williams <mr...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/15 02:22:55 UTC

Permissions/Security

I'm attempting to write an applet that uses the xmlrpc library.
However, I'm getting the following exception when running the program
as an applet (but not as a local application):

(java.util.PropertyPermission org.apache.xmlrpc.TypeFactory read)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:269)
        at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:401)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:524)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1276)
        at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:573)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpc.<init>(XmlRpc.java:200)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.<init>(XmlRpcClient.java:325)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.getWorker(XmlRpcClient.java:234)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:160)
       ... my code here ...

I want to grant my applet the permission to do this totally trivial
thing (reading a property), but I have no idea how to do this.  I've
tried signing the applet, and that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Creating or editing the policy file is an unacceptable solution as I
want this applet runnable anywhere.  Could I solve this problem, or is
it inherently broken?  :-)

Sorry if this is a common or off-topic issue.

-RYaN