Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Maria Jesus Turiel <ma...@silicetelecom.com> on 2009/02/26 13:08:19 UTC

About memory and Lenya

Hi,

In order to avoiding memory problems in Lenya, I have increased the
memory in JAVA_OPTIONS in lenya.sh

I've experimented (and also Lenya documentation advise about this) that
althoug I reserve a lot of memory it becames perjudicial in the memory
consum, I'm not able to determine a good relation between number of
documents and the amount of memory to configure

Is it possible to know some rules for calculating it?

I have 8 GB RAM and 10.000 documents, I've proved that with this kind of
configuration 'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms128M -Xmx1024M' it seems work ok but
sometimes appear a 'Java heap error', and in the other hand I've proved
this other 'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms3000M -Xmx6000M ' with bad results except
then the 'java heap error' dissapear, maybe a configuration like
'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms1024M -Xmx2048M better in this case?,

How much memory would you suggest me?

Thanks for advance

Re: About memory and Lenya

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> You could try to search for an Xmx setting that is recommended for
> your JVM / OS / hardware combination.
Try a shoot that sometimes helped me. Add to JAVA_OPTIONS:

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

to stop the "memory heap errors".

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: About memory and Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Maria Jesus,

Maria Jesus Turiel schrieb:
> In order to avoiding memory problems in Lenya, I have increased the
> memory in JAVA_OPTIONS in lenya.sh
>
> I've experimented (and also Lenya documentation advise about this) that
> althoug I reserve a lot of memory it becames perjudicial in the memory
> consum, I'm not able to determine a good relation between number of
> documents and the amount of memory to configure
>
> Is it possible to know some rules for calculating it?

that's very hard. The first step would be to find out what consumes the
memory. Some candidates:

* Lenya metadata cache
* Cocoon pipeline cache
* some memory leak

I'd recommend to use a profiler to monitor the heap, or analyze a heap
dump (e.g. with the IBM alhpaWorks heap analyzer).

> I have 8 GB RAM and 10.000 documents, I've proved that with this kind of
> configuration 'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms128M -Xmx1024M' it seems work ok but
> sometimes appear a 'Java heap error',

That should actually be sufficient if you don't have an overly complex
application. The number of documents shouldn't be a problem here, but
rather the number of different cache keys in the Cocoon cache. It's hard
to tell any details without a heap analysis.

> and in the other hand I've proved
> this other 'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms3000M -Xmx6000M ' with bad results

What issues have you noticed?

> except
> then the 'java heap error' dissapear, maybe a configuration like
> 'JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xms1024M -Xmx2048M better in this case?,

You could try to search for an Xmx setting that is recommended for your
JVM / OS / hardware combination.

HTH,

-- Andreas

--