Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/22 20:09:09 UTC

[ANN]: Cert management with self-signed CA for Cassandra (and presumably other Java stuff)

Hi,

The topic of configuring encryption comes up fairly often, so I
thought I'd make available to others what we use at the Wikimedia
Foundation.

https://github.com/eevans/cassandra-ca-manager

It allows you to define a self-signed root CA, along with keys and
certs for each of your machines in a YAML manifest file.  The script
reads the manifest and generates everything you need (including Java
keystore and truststore files), and drops them in a directory of your
choosing.

It's nothing fancy, but it works pretty well, and beats looking up all
of the baroque commands once a year to do it manually.

Cheers,

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: [ANN]: Cert management with self-signed CA for Cassandra (and presumably other Java stuff)

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1. I recently discovered that a coworker had built, more or less, the same
thing just a month or two ago for internal/testing uses. And I know I've
seen/heard it elsewhere, so yeah, this would be great!

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Great idea Eric
Any reason to not include this in the docs/operating or as a utility in
repo to make it easier for end users to find all information in one place?
Know this has come up on other projects and we always fall into the same
search/reply trap as well

-Jake

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Great idea Eric