Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TSGX <cy...@yahoo.com.sg> on 2011/04/25 10:26:16 UTC

Re: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux

wadi wadi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Apache tomcat 7.0.8 on my RedHat linux machine. When launching
> tomcat using ./startup.sh the following is displayed but I can't see the
> Tomcat gui window that displays the log information as on a Windows
> machine.
>

> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        /home/user678/mysoft/jdk1.6.0_25
> Using CLASSPATH:
> /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/smw81327/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
>
> Where is the gui window? or is there anyway to display the log information
> using tail command, which log file to tail?
>
> Many thanks!

If you want to see the GUI, I think you have to open a browser and enter
"localhost:8080" in the URL. Also make sure your proxy is turned off.

RE: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: TSGX [mailto:cyx86@yahoo.com.sg]
> Subject: Re: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux

> i am not sure if this is the thread to address the problem

It's not.

> (im not sure of how to start a new thread)

Rule 1: don't use nabble

Rule 2: use an actual e-mail client

Rule 3: start a new thread by creating a new e-mail message, entering the Tomcat users list e-mail address in the To: field, fill out the subject line with something meaningful, and pose your question in the body.

> so im posting the question here.

Ignored, since you're hijacking threads.  Start again.

 - Chuck

Re: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux

Posted by TSGX <cy...@yahoo.com.sg>.
i am not sure if this is the thread to address the problem (im not sure of
how to start a new thread), so im posting the question here.

I am using redhat enterprise linux version 4 update 6. I installed apache
tomcat in my test server and it is working. I got 2 questions I would like
to ask.

The first is, how do I configure my tomcat such that it starts once the
server is booted up? Is there a website that has step-by-step method? Can
anyone recommend? And I am a newbie in linux, so I would appreciate very
much if the steps are rather simplified (if a website is not provided)

The second issue is when I tried to click on the function buttons like
server status, manager app and host manager, the browser prompts me to
authenticate my username and password. When I can't, it goes to a page which
displays the Error 401. And by following the steps, it instructs me to
change the contents in tomcat-users.xml. I did so and checked and make sure
my code was correct and there were no <--- and ---> to comment off the
codes. But still, the authentication don't work. What should I do? Does
anyone know?

Re: can't see GUI in Redhat Linux

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
TSGX wrote:

> wadi wadi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Apache tomcat 7.0.8 on my RedHat linux machine. When launching
>> tomcat using ./startup.sh the following is displayed but I can't see the
>> Tomcat gui window that displays the log information as on a Windows
>> machine.
>>

>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/temp
>> Using JRE_HOME:        /home/user678/mysoft/jdk1.6.0_25
>> Using CLASSPATH:
>> /home/user678/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/smw81327/mysoft/apache-tomcat-7.0.8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
>>
>> Where is the gui window? or is there anyway to display the log information
>> using tail command, which log file to tail?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

> If you want to see the GUI, I think you have to open a browser and enter
> "localhost:8080" in the URL. Also make sure your proxy is turned off.

In the sense that Tomcat is a webserver, and that the usual understanding of GUI is
Graphical User Interface, it could be argued that a browser is it.
In the sense that the OP meant however, this is utter nonsense.
And so is the proxy bit.

@wadi wadi:
If you look at the contents of "startup.sh", you will see that it calls catalina.sh with
the argument "start".
If you look at catalina.sh, you will see that when it is called with the argument "start",
it re-directs STDOUT and STDERR to a logfile somewhere.
If you call catalina.sh with the argument "run" instead, it does not do that, and STDOUT
and STDERR are then output to the console where you call up catalina.sh.

So instead of "./startup.sh", try "./catalina.sh run".