Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/16 23:59:08 UTC

How do you have your dev environment setup?

I've been doing a lot of webapp development on tomcat, but currently my
process is all manual.  I write the code in Eclipse, and then copy the
appropriate files over to tomcat.  I'd like to automate and standardize my
process.

So would y'all mind explaining how your dev environment is configured?  I'd
appreciate the insight.  TIA.

Re: How do you have your dev environment setup?

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@etf.bg.ac.yu>.
Bai Shen wrote:
> I've been doing a lot of webapp development on tomcat, but currently my
> process is all manual.  I write the code in Eclipse, and then copy the
> appropriate files over to tomcat.  I'd like to automate and standardize my
> process.
>
> So would y'all mind explaining how your dev environment is configured?  I'd
> appreciate the insight.  TIA.

Unpack Tomcat from zip package, and register it in Eclipse: Window,
Preferences, Server, Installed Runtimes.

Create new web projects with: File, New, Project, Dynamic web project.

Then, make sure that you have server tab opened with: Window, Show view,
Other, Server.

Drag the project from Projects explorer to Tomcat server in Server tab.
Run the server.

 From that point on, tomcat publishes the files to the server
automatically, and warns you when you need to restart the server.
Dependant projects are packed to jar files in WEB-INF/lib, and
referenced libraries are also copied to the same place.

Regards,
Ognjen

Re: How do you have your dev environment setup?

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@kjkoster.org>.
Dear All,

> I've been doing a lot of webapp development on tomcat, but currently
> my
> process is all manual.  I write the code in Eclipse, and then copy the
> appropriate files over to tomcat.  I'd like to automate and
> standardize my
> process.
>
> So would y'all mind explaining how your dev environment is
> configured?  I'd
> appreciate the insight.  TIA.

I develop in Eclipse and rsync the files over to my test box.
Passwordless ssh and a little script.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Rule 1 for being in a hole: stop digging.

Re: How do you have your dev environment setup?

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
I use Eclipse with the Web Standard Tools plug-in. That lets me run
and debug the app in Eclipse. When the app is ready to go I export it
to a .war file and deploy the .war to the server.
--
Len