Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Timothy Larson <Td...@ci.canton.oh.us> on 2002/12/11 17:27:27 UTC

Re: Deciding Flowscript <-> Sitemap hooks [was: Re: Changes made to flowsystem.js]

>>> jfoste4@uwo.ca 12/11/02 10:21AM >>>
><snip/>
>
>> Then we could do this:
>>   Send a form
>>   Do time consuming work that *does not* need the reply data
>>   Block for the reply
>>   Do the remaining work that *does* need the reply data
>>   Send the next form
>
>What if the reply comes back before the "time consuming work" is
>completed?  This gets us into all sorts of thread-type nastiness and I
>have *no idea* how the interpreter would handle reentrancy.

The interpreter would not need to handle reentrancy for this.
Cocoon would accept the reply from the client and store it in a reply object.
The reply object would not be mapped into the flowscript environment until
after the blocking getReply call.

>On the other hand, it would be neat be able to do what you describe :)
>Jason Foster

Here is another idea:
Add a non-blocking checkReply function to see if the reply has come back yet.
Use strategic checkReply calls in a long flowscript to allow the client to check
on progress and have control of the ongoing process.

Tim