Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/24 18:23:42 UTC

Adding Webconsole Plugin for SCR

Hello,

The SCR plugin has now been separated from the base install of webconsole.
 Given its dependency on two features, scr & webconsole, I was wondering
what would be the correct way to add it to the standard feature.xml?

* Stand alone feature with a dependency on webconsole and scr
* Stand alone feature with no dependency features
* Include in the webconsole feature and add dependency on the scr feature
* ???

Thanks,
Scott ES

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------
FuseSource
Web:     http://www.fusesource.com
Blog:     http://sully6768.blogspot.com
Twitter: sully6768

Re: Adding Webconsole Plugin for SCR

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Wow, and I am the SCR proponent around here and missed that. (doh!)

I haven't checked to see if the plugin provided by Felix actually works as
a DS component would be expected to.  I can take a look at that to verify
if it was written that way and to see how it is resolving which should help
drive how to proceed.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I wonder i we're asking the right question here.  We have something we
> want to "turn on" when a set of n other things are present.  We're talking
> bundles which don't work that way.  A more friendly model is DS services
> with mandatory references.  If we say that the n other things are services
> rather than bundles, and the thing we want  to turn on is also a service,
> then we can use DS to automatically do the detection and wiring and service
> creation/registration for us.
>
> If we installed a small bundle or two with a feature, that couldn't
> resolve until some other bundle(s) were also installed, would that be a
> problem?  (or used dynamic import :-(((( )
>
> david jencks
>
> On Jul 25, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Do you see the capability feature extension being able to handle the case
> > where say the web console feature s installed and then you add the event
> > admin feature, which the pax-web-runtime has an optional dependency on.
>  If
> > you currently install event admin after web console you get a big nasty
> > stack trace in the console window.
> >
> > I guess what I would hope to avoid is feature soup.  It would be very
> nice
> > to be able to define all the dependencies and capabilities of SCR under
> the
> > SCR feature.   Then depending on the features that are installed in
> > addition to SCR, management and/or web console, those SCR "capabilities"
> > would be installed.
> >
> > Make sense?

> >> Of course, I think that these 2 ideas are complimentary.
> >>
> >> --
> >> *Ioannis Canellos*
> >> *
> >> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
> >>
> >> **
> >> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
> >> **
> >> Twitter: iocanel
> >> *
> >>

> > --
> > --
> > Scott England-Sullivan
> > ----------------------------------
> > FuseSource
> > Web:     http://www.fusesource.com
> > Blog:     http://sully6768.blogspot.com
> > Twitter: sully6768

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Do you see the capability feature extension being able to handle the case
where say the web console feature s installed and then you add the event
admin feature, which the pax-web-runtime has an optional dependency on.  If
you currently install event admin after web console you get a big nasty
stack trace in the console window.

I guess what I would hope to avoid is feature soup.  It would be very nice
to be able to define all the dependencies and capabilities of SCR under the
SCR feature.   Then depending on the features that are installed in
addition to SCR, management and/or web console, those SCR "capabilities"
would be installed.

Make sense?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > definitely +1; nevertheless I still think we can "marry" Achims
> > proposal together with this capability think; don't you think?
>

> Of course, I think that these 2 ideas are complimentary.
>
> --
> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *
> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>
> **
> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
> **
> Twitter: iocanel
> *

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
definitely +1; nevertheless I still think we can "marry" Achims
proposal together with this capability think; don't you think?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Oh, seams this one had been deleted from my mind :-)

Yeah, but you're right. Now that I'm reading over it again it comes
back nevertheless...

Independently, we'll need to extend the feature-fragment idea for this
specific case: The problem here is that the fragment should only be
installed IFF the SCR feature is already installed when the webconsole
is installed. Adding this somewhere in your initial proposal and I'm
fine with it :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Scott England-Sullivan
> <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having a trigger mechanism for features would be very useful.  It dawned
> on
> > me while looking into this so its good to hear that it is already in
> > discussion.
> >
> > I will just go with webconsole-scr for the moment and add some doco to
> the
> > Karaf site.
> >
> > Thanks for the input. :-)
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Scott ES
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Achim Nierbeck <bcanhome@googlemail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> yeah, somewhere in the dev threads there is a discussion about this :)
> >> There should be even some issue for this.
> >> It was decided to postpone this to 3.1 :)

Scott England-Sullivan

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.