Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Shaily Goel <gs...@novell.com> on 2005/03/08 12:23:21 UTC

EventLogAppender vs SysLogAppender

Using log4net I am developing an application which should run
independent of any platform(.net or mono).My requirement is to log the
messages to system log on Linux and  Windows Event Log on windows (as
windows Event Log is the analog to Syslog on windows). I found that
log4net which is used for .net(windows) already has the EventLogAppender
to log the messages to Windows EventLog but mono -log4net does not have
SysLogappender.

Does the above mean my application should use different log4net(mono or
.net version) depending on the installed platform.

Does it also mean that on mono platform I should write my own SysLog
appender to  log messages to system log as log4net mono does not provide
this functionality?

Thanks
Shaily