Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by victory <vi...@apache.org> on 2019/09/25 08:27:00 UTC

[VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Hello Dubbo Community,

This is a call for vote to release Apache Dubbo version 2.7.4.

The release candidates:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/dubbo/2.7.4/

The staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedubbo-1041

Git tag for the release:
https://github.com/apache/dubbo/tree/dubbo-2.7.4

Hash for the release tag:
4ec4b244902b753d3aa3fffc490d77f4b326667b

Release Notes:
https://github.com/apache/dubbo/releases/tag/dubbo-2.7.4

The artifacts have been signed with Key : A3A1CA7A5D4A3981, which can be
found in the keys file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/dubbo/KEYS

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
The Apache Dubbo Team

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Victory, as the release manager for this release, would you mind to cover
all questions Justin raised in this thread?

Thanks,
-Ian.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> How about we add some declaration about this util java files in *LICENSE* file.

While the code is now under an Apache license, IMO it's still unknown who the IP owner is and if they agreed to that license change. So I think  we would need to do more than just add something to the LICENSE file. What do other PMC members think?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by victory <sh...@gmail.com>.
As noted above, the license of
https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support is changed to 'Apache
License 2.0'.
There are some files copied from spring-context-support to apache dubbo.

How about we add some declaration about this util java files in *LICENSE*
file.  For some code referenced from netty(Apache License 2.0),  we add
some declaration in https://github.com/apache/dubbo/blob/master/LICENSE like
this :

*This product contains a modified portion of 'Netty', an event-driven
asynchronous network application framework also under a "Apache
License 2.0" license, see
https://github.com/netty/netty/blob/4.1/LICENSE.txt
<https://github.com/netty/netty/blob/4.1/LICENSE.txt>: *
io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocal *
io.netty.util.internal.InternalThreadLocalMap * io.netty.util.Timer *
io.netty.util.TimerTask * io.netty.util.Timeout *
io.netty.util.HashedWheelTimer*

What do you think?

Jun Liu <li...@apache.org> 于2019年10月4日周五 下午2:55写道:

--

Best Regard!
cvitory

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> If the owner agree to sign SGA, do we have to transfer that project to apache, I mean, move the project from 'alibaba/spring-context-support’ to 'apache/spring-context-support’?

I don’t think there's a hard requirment to transfer it. The SGA just grants permission to use what’s in the software grant, in short a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright and patent license to do what we want with it. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
>> Assume the owner is Alibaba, then what we should ask them to sign an SGA[1], right?
>>
>> 1. http://dubbo.apache.org/en-us/docs/developers/contributor-guide/software-donation-guide_dev.html
>
> Assuming they are the owner that would be corre

Thanks Justin,

I just received a signed SGA for spring-context-support project from the owner (Alibaba) and have submitted it to the secretary.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The new PRs were committed and merged, and the correlative code also was
> re-implemented including

If you do a diff or manual comparison on the files you’ll see that there are still some lines that are the same, yes they have been modified but that doesn’t  mean you own the IP on the entire contents of the file or had permission to change the license.

> Above 6 files that you mentioned has been different from
> alibaba/spring-context-support, I am looking forward to your further
> instructions?

I not sure why you are asking me for instructions. If the a new release was made, it would depend on how the PMC voted not just me. Anyone voting would need to be 100% convinced that the code contained not a single line that was owned by Alibaba.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Mercy Ma <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

> Doing a comparison between those two directory I see 6 files that have
code in common. Not it’s not only code in common but comments as well,
trivial small amount of code may not be covered by copyright, but the
comments will be.

The new PRs were committed and merged, and the correlative code also was
re-implemented including:

- org.apache.dubbo.config.spring.beans.factory.annotation
  - AnnotationInjectedBeanPostProcessor.java ( 2.7.3 : re-implemented,
2.7.4: removed comments )
- org.apache.dubbo.config.spring.util
  - AnnotatedBeanDefinitionRegistryUtils.java ( 2.7.3 : re-implemented,
2.7.4: removed comments )
  - AnnotationUtils.java ( before : re-implemented, 2.7.4: removed useless
methods and comments)
  - BeanFactoryUtils.java ( 2.7.4 : removed the whole file)
  - ObjectUtils.java  ( 2.7.4 : removed comments)
  - PropertySourcesUtils.java   ( 2.7.4 : re-implemented and removed
comments)

Above 6 files that you mentioned has been different from
alibaba/spring-context-support, I am looking forward to your further
instructions? :D

Kind regards,
Mercy Ma

--

*Mercy Ma*
GMail:mercyblitz@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
>> 1. Rewrite the code completely.
>> 2. Ask the owner for a software grant
>
> What’s easier to do? I assume 2 would be easier than 1 given they have donated code before?

Yes, I also think solution 2 would be easier. Rewrite at this moment would bring more risks to this release.

Posted by Mercy <me...@gmail.com>.
There is only one file rewritten in this release, however the Java class
files remained , including the Java class names and comments. Actually,
a lot of code have been refactored or replaced in the past.

Kind regards,

Mercy Ma

在 2019/10/8 下午7:38, Justin Mclean 写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mercy Ma <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

> 1. Rewrite the code completely.

The code has been rewritten, the part of work has been done in the past
releases. So what's your suggestion?

Kind regards,
Mercy Ma

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> I have removed the correlative code that is come from Alibaba repo, and the substitute implementation was pushed into Dubbo repo.

I checked the commit[1], several methods were removed from the file. I think it’s ok to proceed now if the other codes were originally written by yourself. I can help to cancel this vote and start a new one with the latest codes.

Before we doing that, let’s see what other people more familiar and sensitive with IP Clearance will say, especially opinions from Justin.

1. https://github.com/apache/dubbo/commit/64bab07d967b0740141c875b5db14e66a5934baf

Jun

Posted by Mercy <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mercy <me...@gmail.com>.
 > Where did these files originally come from? It seems they were copied
from somewhere to this repo and then copied to Dubbo.

All code and files of https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support are writen by me, they are not originally from other projects, but
are come from My private repo.

Kind regards,
Mercy Ma

在 2019/9/29 上午10:15, YunKun Huang 写道:

Posted by YunKun Huang <ht...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,
> > It’s strange these files have an ASF header when they are in a non ASF repo which is licensed under a non ASF license. What the story behind these files?
>
> The license of https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support <https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support> had been changed to be "Apache License 2.0" - https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support/blob/master/LICENSE <https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support/blob/master/LICENSE>

That doesn’t answer my question. Why did the files have an Apache header in a repo that was not Apache licensed? Where did these files originally come from? It seems they were copied from somewhere to this repo and then copied to Dubbo.

Posted by Mercy <me...@gmail.com>.
> It’s strange these files have an ASF header when they are in a non ASF repo which is licensed under a non ASF license. What the story behind these files?

The license ofhttps://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support  <https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support>  had been changed to be "Apache License 2.0" -https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support/blob/master/LICENSE

> PR#3 says "Add some code from other places”, what other places did this code come from? If this is the case, where other people involved in writing that code? What license was it under?

The code came from my private repo, just pulled request to upstream(Alibaba repo).

Kind regards,
Mercy Ma

在 2019/9/27 下午5:36, Justin Mclean 写道:

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Are you particularly referring to
https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support? Then I'd like to leave
this to Mercy Ma.

-Ian.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by victory <sh...@gmail.com>.

--

Best Regard!
cvitory

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Mercy <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'm the author of https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support, could
> I change the LICENSE of this project to be "Apache License 2.0" to resolve
> this issue?

If you are the only contributor (which seems to be the case) that would be one way of dealing with it. The Dubbo LICENSE file would need to change if that was done.

However that I still like to know how code euthanasia ASF header come to be in that repo and there may be some other issues, for instance PR#3 says "Add some code from other places”, what other places did this code  come from? If this is the case, where other people involved in writing that code? What license was it under?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
@Mercy,

Is it possible to reimplement
https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support/blob/1.0.2/src/main/java/com/alibaba/spring/util/AnnotationUtils.java
so
that alibaba/spirng-context-support will not bother us any longer?

Thanks,
-Ian.

Posted by Mercy Ma <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin Mclean,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

-1 binding (due to Category X software being included).

I checked:
- signatures and hashes fine
- LICENSE is OK (see below)
- NOTICE is fine
- There are a couple of files that are missing ASF headers e.g. [1]
- There are no unexpected binary files
- can compile from source

This file [4] includes code cloned from here [5] which is under a GPL license. [6] This license is not compatible with the ALv2 and is Category X. [7] The same issue exists with this file [8]. It looks like other files in that util directory have also been copied from [9]. it’s strange these files have an ASF header when they are in a non ASF repo which is licensed under a non ASF license. Given a good explanation for this and those file are correctly licensed I’ll change my vote. What the story behind these files?

5. https://github.com/alibaba/spring-context-support/blob/1.0.2/src/main/java/com/alibaba/spring/util/AnnotationUtils.java

Posted by 吕钱升 <lv...@126.com>.
1

| |
吕钱升

lvqians@126.com

签名由网易邮箱大师定制

Posted by stocks alex <al...@apache.org>.
To all of ur kind guys,

I have signed the SGA to  secretary@apache.org. Pls check it. What I wanna
say is that,

This repo is written by me since 2016 in my spare time. And I was not
employed at that time. I need not to find any of my employer's agreement
for the donation of getty.

So I signed my name on the SGA to meet ur demand.

Pls give me other suggestions if there are other problems. If not, I will
contact with other guys to sign the ICLA.

Waiting for your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Alex

Jun Liu <li...@apache.org> 于2019年10月15日周二 下午5:56写道:

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by victory <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

I will repost a new vote for 2.7.4 release today.

Jun Liu <li...@apache.org> 于2019年10月12日周六 下午2:18写道:

--

Best Regard!
cvitory

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo 2.7.4 [RC1]

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hey, Cvictory