Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Alexander Podelko <ap...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/09/07 00:19:21 UTC

Re: Re: Auto correlation in Jmeter

 Hi,
By the way, what exactly "Var replacement on recording" can do? The "User Defined Variable replacement" section in http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Defined_Variables speaks about regex in variables, but I don't see a clear example how it may be used.
For example, I know that request_id can be found in the server response as {"id":"(.+?)",Can I specify it through that var replacement on recording? the request_id's value is a random GUID, each time new.
Thanks,Alex

    On Friday, August 18, 2017, 5:02:59 PM EDT, Alexander Podelko <ap...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

 I am working for Oracle (Hyperion/EPM in particular). The one described below is ADF-based. ADF is Application Development Framework and many Oracle applications use it now http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/index.html
The term auto-correlation is rather vague. I'd break it at least into two cases:

1) The tool using some logic guessing what parameters to correlate - either just analyzing the script (I guess what Blazemeter is doing on the top of JMeter with SmartJMX https://www.blazemeter.com/blog/how-cut-your-jmeter-scripting-time-80) or analyzing playback and comparing it with the recording (as, if I understand correctly, LoadRunner does beyond rules-based correlation). As it uses kind of AI, sometimes you need to spent more time fixing it (so I am not a big fan of that approach as I prefer to know exactly what is going on) - but it may work fine in simple cases.
2) Rule-based correlation. You have libraries with specific rules where you explicitly specify what to correlate. It is rather straightforward and you completely control what happens (if a rule doesn't work, you either modify it or disable it). I guess it shouldn't be too complicated from the implementation side too. It appears that OctoPerf did that on the top of JMeter https://doc.octoperf.com/correlation/ . I am rather surprised not to find something like this in JMeter.

Thanks,
Alex

On Friday, August 18, 2017, 4:02:29 PM EDT, UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com> wrote:

Hi Alexander,
From our experience large number of correlation is usually related to
"particular protocols" or frameworks or RIA for example:
- Oracle JDEdwards
- Siebel
- SAP BO/BI
- Vaadin

For other usual webapps (Ajax, Angular based...) , the number of
correlation is reasonable and not so complex even manually done using
native JMeter techniques:
- Var replacement on recording
- Search/replace available now in GUI
- Usual extractors (css, regex, json, xpath)

And using scoping can factor out those rules to only code them once.

That's why we asked the question on technology.

But I am pretty interested by your feedback on this and know what
technology your current app is based on to see if it is in those
technologies I mention.

I am also interested to know if auto correlation really works in other
well-known tools. There was a discussion on user mailing list few years ago
about this topic and I remember reading one of your post about auto
correlation saying it worked in a pretty low percentage of cases.

Regards