Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no> on 2004/01/28 15:05:16 UTC

new idea on maven usage?

Hi there, I think I have a new idea on how to use maven, not just as a
build system.

anyway, what I thought of is the following.

I want to use some sort of minimalistic version of maven to start my
applications, this way I do not have to distribute any of my jar files,
or any of the external jar files, and I can also get a version controled
handling of the execution.

what would be needed to use this.
project.xml
	remove all the build stuff
	add information on which class to run and if it should be
  		"threaded"

maven
	includes no plugins and only 2 goals
	start to start the applikation (if the application is threaded
		maven will exist after "start" but the application still
  		running)
	stop to stop the application (if it was started threaded)

If I have maven-starter locally installed all I would need was to
download the project.xml file and type maven start
this would then download everything that was needed (if not previously
downloaded) and start the applikation.

In a sence it is sort of a webstart system, but the jar files does not
have to be on the same server, nor signed, etc...

we could ofcourse demand some security in this so that jar files hae to
be signed, etc and that users have to agree to the signature (much like
webstart)

but I think this could be better then webstart, since this could also
work with server applications...

anyway it is just an idea!

/Christian