Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Alan Brown <ab...@opstechnology.com> on 2004/03/31 00:12:56 UTC

Static log reading tool...

Is there any gui tool out there to statically parse logs, pulling out
only the information I specify.  It could be done by assuming logging
messages are blank line bounded for instance and a search string for the
message could be defined with a regular expression.  In my case the
search string would be the session id so I could see only the logging
thread that pertained to the user that generated an error.

As a twist I'd like the tool to be able to get information from multiple
machines' log files and to make sure the output remains in chronological
order.

I'm thinking of writing something quick and dirty to do this if there's
nothing out there.

Alan

Re: Static log reading tool...

Posted by Tim Williams <ha...@hotmail.com>.
Has anybody looked at Hyades from the Eclipse project?  I've been checking
up on it every couple of months and it is making progress.  I will be facing
the issue of log file viewing shortly so I have a keen interest in Hyades
and Log4J.  We use Eclipse (WSAD) for development so it has an inherent
appeal over Chainsaw, although I think Chainsaw may be more user friendly
right now.  Neither are fully matured yet however.

As a general point what does the Log4J community have to say about Hyades?

Regards,

Tim.