Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alireza Eskandari <as...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/09/23 09:18:32 UTC

debugging in eclipse

Hi friends,
I'm not a Java developer but I'm interested to do some discoveries in CloudStack code.
I have created a development environment with Eclipse in Ubuntu and I can successfully compile and run CloudStack 4.5.2 in this environment.
The question is how can I use Eclipse to debug and trace the code and variables values while CloudStack is running. How can I use breakpoints and etc.
Regards,
Alireza

Re: debugging in eclipse

Posted by Patrick Dube <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alireza,
A way to do it is to run CS from the terminal with these 2 commands from
the root of your CS directory:

$ export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=800m -Xmx2g -Xdebug
-Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=4000,server=y,suspend=n
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"
$ mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run -e

Then to configure a Remote Debug Session ( Debug > Debug Configuration) and
connect to port 4000 (can be modified to anything you want in the above
command).

There might be a way to launch the server directly in debug mode from
Eclipse. More information might help here ->
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Using+Eclipse+With+CloudStack

Cheers,

Patrick