Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Smith <ti...@gristmillmedia.com> on 2003/10/16 22:20:15 UTC

[mp2] message about Invalid command 'PerlSwitches' during make test

This is my setup:
RedHat 8 - Kernel 2.4.20-20.8
Apache 2.0.47
perl 5.8.0
mod_perl 1.99_10

When I run make test I receive the following message

/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd  -d /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t -f
/usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 14 of
/usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/extra.conf:
Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration
!!!
server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the
server in the debug mode)
make: *** [run_tests] Error 143

I haven't had much success finding previous threads about this problem and
would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: [mp2] message about Invalid command 'PerlSwitches' during make test

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>> So it would appear that I want to build mod_perl without the
>>> MP_USE_STATIC=1, is that correct?
>>

>> That's right. I should have noticed that in your bug report. The
>> static build is not completed yet. I guess we should do more checking.
>> Meanwhile just remove that MP_USE_STATIC=1, it'll use MP_USE_DSO=1 by
>> default.
>

> I'm thinking about adding some stuff to TestReport, namely httpd -l
> but perhaps also a list of the .so files in modules/

That wouldn't have helped in this particular case, but it certainly could be
helpful in the future? If you add it, it should probably come last? (may be
just switch perl and apache sections places?) most problems so far had to do
with the way perl was built, so it'd be nice to have it just after the
mod_perl config bits.

If you are working on it, please add another important bit, the path to the
system's httpd.conf A-T has inherited from, since quite a few problems were
related to this file. Thanks Geoff.

Re: Flood project: keepalive_begin_conn() reorganized to properly handle transitions (between ssl and non-ssl, or different hosts/ports) and use different state variable [Ref A4]

Posted by Norman Tuttle <nt...@photon.poly.edu>.
Oops, forgot to attach the diff file. It is attached here:

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> So it would appear that I want to build mod_perl without the
>> MP_USE_STATIC=1, is that correct?
>

> That's right. I should have noticed that in your bug report. The static
> build is not completed yet. I guess we should do more checking.
> Meanwhile just remove that MP_USE_STATIC=1, it'll use MP_USE_DSO=1 by
> default.

I'm thinking about adding some stuff to TestReport, namely httpd -l, but
perhaps also a list of the .so files in modules/

sound like a good idea?

--Geoff

Re: [mp2] message about Invalid command 'PerlSwitches' during make test

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by Tim Smith <ti...@gristmillmedia.com>.
That did it! Thanks for all your help.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Tim Smith <ti...@gristmillmedia.com>.
>> 	Something I did find in httpd.conf was this, is this a problem?
>> 	<IfModule !mod_perl.c>
>>     	#unable to locate mod_perl.so (could be a static build)
>> 	</IfModule>
>
>Yup, you have pinpointed the problem. I have never seen this problem with
>mod_perl itself. There are quite a few scenarios where it can happen with
>third party modules using Apache::Test.
>
>So let's figure out why it couldn't find mod_perl.so. Do you have
>src/modules/perl/mod_perl.so? If so do file perms look alright?

I don't have that shared library. Could this be because I built it like this
(with MP_USE_STATIC) -
perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1 MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2
MP_USE_STATIC=1

The results of t/TEST -trace=debug -config
==> unable to locate mod_perl.so (could be a static build)

So it would appear that I want to build mod_perl without the
MP_USE_STATIC=1, is that correct?

Thanks again,

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Tim Smith wrote:
> 1. Problem Description:
>
>   	When I run make test I receive the following message
>
> 	/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd  -d /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t -f
> /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
> 	using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)
>
> 	waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 14 of
> /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/extra.conf:
> 	Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
> not included in the server configuration
> 	!!!
> 	server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the
> server in the debug mode)
> 	make: *** [run_tests] Error 143
>
> 	Stas, I tried running this grep command (grep LoadModule t/conf/httpd.conf
> | grep -v PerlLoadModule)but it did not return anything.
>
> 	Something I did find in httpd.conf was this, is this a problem?
> 	<IfModule !mod_perl.c>
>     	#unable to locate mod_perl.so (could be a static build)
> 	</IfModule>

Yup, you have pinpointed the problem. I have never seen this problem with
mod_perl itself. There are quite a few scenarios where it can happen with
third party modules using Apache::Test.

So let's figure out why it couldn't find mod_perl.so. Do you have
src/modules/perl/mod_perl.so? If so do file perms look alright?

Try tracing the config phase first, by running:

   t/TEST -trace=debug -config

and you should see what's going on, it'll report whether it can find
mod_perl.so or not. e.g. on my machine it looks like:

/home/stas/apache.org/mp2> t/TEST -trace=debug -config
setting ulimit to allow core files
ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -trace=debug -config
inheriting config file: /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/httpd.conf
inheriting config file: /home/stas/httpd/prefork/conf/ssl.conf
Found: perl_module => mod_perl.c
Skipping LoadModule of mod_perl.c
cleaning out current configuration

if it's reports that it can't find the perl_module (which is most likely what
will happen), could you venture into Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestPerlRun.pm and
see why it can't find that file? It's plain perl so should be easy to debug.
Thanks Tim.

> 	Also, I don't have anything in the t/logs directory so I'm not able to send
> you that. Also, the docs about reporting problems mentions something about
> re-running the make test in verbose mode. But I'm not exactly sure how to do
> that for this situation. If you could give me an exact statement that would
> be helpful.

sure, since the server didn't start there will be nothing in the logs. Your
bug report gives us most of the information that we need.

RE: [mp2] message about Invalid command 'PerlSwitches' during make test

Posted by Tim Smith <ti...@gristmillmedia.com>.
1. Problem Description:

  	When I run make test I receive the following message

	/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd  -d /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t -f
/usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
	using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

	waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 14 of
/usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/extra.conf:
	Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration
	!!!
	server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the
server in the debug mode)
	make: *** [run_tests] Error 143

	Stas, I tried running this grep command (grep LoadModule t/conf/httpd.conf
| grep -v PerlLoadModule)but it did not return anything.

	Something I did find in httpd.conf was this, is this a problem?
	<IfModule !mod_perl.c>
    	#unable to locate mod_perl.so (could be a static build)
	</IfModule>

	Also, I don't have anything in the t/logs directory so I'm not able to send
you that. Also, the docs about reporting problems mentions something about
re-running the make test in verbose mode. But I'm not exactly sure how to do
that for this situation. If you could give me an exact statement that would
be helpful.

	Thanks for your help,
	Tim

2. Used Components and their Configuration:

*** mod_perl version 1.9910

*** using lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm
*** Makefile.PL options:
  MP_AP_PREFIX    => /usr/local/apache2
  MP_COMPAT_1X    => 1
  MP_GENERATE_XS  => 1
  MP_INST_APACHE2 => 1
  MP_LIBNAME      => mod_perl
  MP_USE_STATIC   => 1

*** /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.0.47
Server built:   Oct 16 2003 09:08:59
Server's Module Magic Number: 20020903:4
Architecture:   32-bit
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache2"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache2/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

*** /usr/bin/perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=linux, osvers=2.4.21-1.1931.2.382.entsmp,
archname=i386-linux-thread-multi
    uname='linux str'

config_args='-des -Doptimize=-O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -Dmyhostnam
e=localhost -Dperladmin=root@localhost -Dcc=gcc -Dcf_by=Red Hat,
Inc. -Dinstallprefix=/usr -Dprefix=/usr -Darchname=i386-linux -Dvendorprefix
=/usr -Dsiteprefix=/usr -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 -Duseshrplib -Du
sethreads -Duseithreads -Duselargefiles -Dd_dosuid -Dd_semctl_semun -Di_db -
Ui_ndbm -Di_gdbm -Di_shadow -Di_syslog -Dman3ext=3pm -Duseperlio -Dinstallus
rbinperl -Ubincompat5005 -Uversiononly -Dpager=/usr/bin/less -isr'
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef'
 useithreads=define usemultiplicity=
    useperlio= d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=un uselongdouble=
    usemymalloc=, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags
='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-ali
asing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr
/include/gdbm',
    optimize='',

cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-st
rict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/gdbm'
    ccversion='', gccversion='3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)',
gccosandvers=''
gccversion='3.2.2 200302'
    intsize=r, longsize=r, ptrsize=5, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long'
k', ivsize=4'
ivtype='l, nvtype='double'
o_nonbl', nvsize=, Off_t='', lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=4, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='gcc'
l', ldflags =' -L/u'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
    libs=-lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lutil
    perllibs=
    libc=/lib/libc-2.3.2.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libper
    gnulibc_version='2.3.2'
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so', d_dlsymun=undef,
ccdlflags='-rdynamic -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/CORE'
    cccdlflags='-fPIC'
ccdlflags='-rdynamic -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5', lddlflags='s
Unicode/Normalize XS/A'

  Compile-time options: DEBUGGING MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Locally applied patches:
        MAINT18379
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Aug 13 2003 11:47:58
  %ENV:
    PERL_LWP_USE_HTTP_10="1"
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    .

3. This is the core dump trace: (if you get a core dump):

  [CORE TRACE COMES HERE]

This report was generated by t/REPORT on Thu Oct 16 23:39:00 2003 GMT.

> When I run make test I receive the following message
>
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd  -d /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t -f
> /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
> using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)
>
> waiting for server to start: .Syntax error on line 14 of
> /usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/t/conf/extra.conf:
> Invalid command 'PerlSwitches', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
> not included in the server configuration
> !!!
> server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start
the
> server in the debug mode)
> make: *** [run_tests] Error 143
>
> I haven't had much success finding previous threads about this problem and
> would appreciate any help.

Tim, when submitting bug reports follow the guidelines at
http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

In addition to the above, can we see the output of:

grep LoadModule t/conf/httpd.conf | grep -v PerlLoadModule

I'd expect it to be:

     LoadModule perl_module
"/usr/src/mod_perl-1.99_10/src/modules/perl/mod_perl.so"

Re: [mp2] message about Invalid command 'PerlSwitches' during make test

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.