Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by "Millies, Sebastian" <Se...@softwareag.com> on 2012/08/21 09:42:48 UTC

Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Hello there,

Tuscany 1.6 (I do not know about 2.0) includes a n earlier version of EMF,
namely 2.2.3, which is used for SDO support. Since version 2.5, EMF does no
longer include SDO, so there will be no chance to replace this Tuscany dependency.

Nevertheless, I’d like to use current versions of EMF inside my components,
specifically, I’d like to use Xtext for creating DSL’s, which depends on EMF 2.6
or higher.

How do I have to set up my application so that I can use EMF classes in my SCA
components that are different from what the Tuscany runtime provides, and
still use the Tuscany runtime with SDO bindings?

n  Sebastian

IDS Scheer Consulting GmbH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Michael Rehm, Ivo Totev
Sitz/Registered office: Altenkesseler Straße 17, 66115 Saarbrücken, Germany - Registergericht/Commercial register: Saarbrücken HRB 19681
http://www.ids-scheer-consulting.com

RE: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by "Millies, Sebastian" <Se...@softwareag.com>.
yes, I have. It points to the parent directory of lib, modules etc.
This is under Windows.
-- Sebastian

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Millies, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> thanks for the pointer. The thing is, I can't get this to work.
> The NodeLauncher.createNode() does not seem to be aware of the
> Tuscany dependencies (i. e. the jars that come in the lib/*
> directory). For example,  when launching a certain node I get
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/lang/exception/NestableException
>
> which is a class that my code does not use explicitly. Putting Tuscany/lib/*
> on the application classpath would kind of defeat my purpose,
> because that is just where ecore-xmi-2.2.3.jar and its brethren sit.

 From memory, I believe you need the TUSCANY_HOME environment variable
to be set correctly for these dependencies to be found.  Do you have
this variable set?

   Simon

Re: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Just fyi, you can have a zip contribution that contains nested jars
and those jars get added into the contribution classpath, theres an eg
test showing this at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-1.x/trunk/itest/contribution-folder

   ...ant

RE: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by "Millies, Sebastian" <Se...@softwareag.com>.
well yes, but that is extremely inconvenient when dealing with a third-party
product. I'd need to write an sca-contribution.xml for that third party
product, export their API packages, create a contribution jar containing a
META-INF folder with the contribution xml plus all the third-party code
as nested jars, and deploy that contribution jar. Wouldn't I?

And would nested jars even work? Or would I even have to unzip the third-party
jars and repackage everything as a contribution? I'd have to check if the
license even allowed that.

-- Sebastian

Re: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

Re: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
It's been over 2 years since I looked into this in detail and put
together the list of gudelines in [1], so I don't recall 100% of the
detail of how this works.  See inline below for my impressions of
what may be happening.

   Simon

Millies, Sebastian wrote:
> (cut)
>
> I think I have found the cause of the problem:
> My contribution had a dependency on Apache Commons Configuration, since one
> of the contribution classes uses org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationException,
> through which I get an indirect reference to org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableException
> from Apache Commons Lang.
>
> I did not detect that at compile time, because when I restricted the launcher
> classpath from all of Tuscany to the two jars tuscany-sca-api.jar and tuscany-node-kauncher.jar,
> I did not adjust the compile time contribution libraries accordingly. So commons-lang.jar,
> although available at compile time from $TUSCANY_HOME/lib, was not found at run time.
>
> Thanks for the help. In the rest of this post, I'll just ramble on about what testing I did.
> It will be of little value for those who are not especially interested in classlaoding problems.
>
> Here goes. Referring again to [1] (see below): I read that post as implying
> that I should  put commons-lang.jar on the runtime classpath. And that this would not interfere with
> whatever version of commons-lang Tuscany requires, because the NodeLauncher will use a separate classloader
> for its dependencies. I tried that, and lo and behold, the component starts, and using -verbose:class
> shows Tuscany classes being loaded from $TUSCANY_HOME/lib and Tuscany/modules.

Yes, that's correct.

> By extension the same approach should work with classes like common.sdo.DataObject (which occur in
> my service methods) etc. So I tried that as well. Now the situation is as follows:

Do you mean that this appears in your service method interfaces, or in
your service method implementations?  The Tuscany runtime needs to load
and introspect classes in your service method interfaces, but not classes
that are used only by your service method implementations.

> 1) When I do NOT include tuscany-sdo-api-r2.1-1.1.1.jar on the application classpath, the class
> commonj.sdo.DataObject and its dependencies will be loaded from the jars located in $TUSCANY_HOME/lib.
>
> This confuses me: Why would the contribution classloader be able to find classes belonging to
> the Tuscany dependencies, when in theory according to [1] these should be loaded only through the
> NodeLauncher, the contribution classloader being restricted to the application classpath?

My guess is that the Tuscany runtime is loading these classes for its
own purposes based on your usage of SDO in your application.

> 2) When I DO inlude that jar on the runtime classpath, the class will be loaded from that jar,
> provided of course I also load all the dependencies, which include:
>
> codegen-ecore-2.2.3.jar
> common-2.2.3.jar
> commons-configuration-1.6.jar
> commons-lang-2.3.jar
> ecore-2.2.3.jar
> ecore-change-2.2.3.jar
> ecore-xmi-2.2.3.jar
> tuscany-sdo-api-r2.1-1.1.1.jar
> tuscany-sdo-impl-1.1.1.jar
> tuscany-sdo-lib-1.1.1.jar
> tuscany-sdo-tools-1.1.1.jar
> xsd-2.2.3.jar
>
> This list was difficult to put together, basically only through trial and error. And according
> to point 6. in [1], the classpath MUST NOT contain these Tuscany jars anyway. I'll have to test
> later, if this interferes with anything in my app.

I think the term "Tuscany jars" was intended to refer to those jars
in the 'modules' directory, not all jars whose name starts with 'tuscany'.

I don't understand why you're putting tuscany-sdo-api-r2.1-1.1.1.jar on
your runtime classpath.  The mechanisms described in [1] for runtime jar
replacement can't be used to replace any Tuscany APIs by different
versions.  I thought you wanted to use this mechanism to have a different
level of EMF in your application than the level used by the Tuscany runtime.

> Taken together, these results make me mistrust the recommendation in [1]. Perhaps it would
> really be better to try the opposite approach of including any different versions of components used
> by Tuscany in nested jars in the contribution itself, given that according to today's post by ant this
> nesting of jars should work. I'll try that next.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that.

   Simon

Re: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.

RE: Using EMF with Tuscany 1.6