Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean McCauliff <se...@narus.com> on 2000/07/28 05:16:45 UTC

Tomcat closes connection to Apache when Oracle is shutdown.

Hi,

   The environment is: Solaris 2.7, Oracle 8.1.6, JDK 1.2.2 and
JDK 1.1.8, Tomcat 3.1

    The situtation:  the Oracle database I am running against
occasionally goes down or is shutdown (this is someone elses problem, so
I am letting them worry about this).   I want my database connections to
automatically recover when the database comes back up.  When I check out
a connection from my connection pool I attempt to check if the
connection is live. isConnected() does not seem to work. so I run a
small test query.  If the database is down then I get
java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available  exception along
with:

java.net.SocketException: Interrupted system call
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptConnections(Compiled
Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpListenerThread.run(Compiled
Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

After which Tomcat is completly unresponsive.
int ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8021] shutdown
due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Interrupted system call

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
-Sean