Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by John <jo...@cephal.com> on 2016/05/07 23:58:35 UTC

Metron Person Types...

Hello Dev@Metron,

The other day Ryan mentioned that it might be nice to combine the build
step (run mvn) before deploying (ex. vagrant up), so people have one less
step to type/forget. And he mentioned there might be a jira out there for
maybe optionally combining the steps (I'm thinking it's METRON-78). Well, I
noticed the run.sh for amazon-ec2 already performs the mvn step before
deploying, but yeah, for the vagrant options we do have to run separate
commands today. Looks like there are some options for vagrant to run mvn on
the host (ex. triggers) or even for mvn to exec vagrant up... but it would
be neat to have reuse between this solution and the existing amazon-ec2
scripts (which does not use vagrant)... and I can off-line this convo to
the ticket, but this topic got me curious to the type of people that might
want to build and/or run Metron. Like, if someone just wanted to quickly
try out Metron I see on the github homepage they can just download the
binaries and not need mvn/git... but I'm guessing they still need vagrant
and/or ansible today. I tried to throw together a quick list of some of the
person types I could think of off the top of my head, but I'd love to get
some of your guys thoughts on the subject too...

*Quick Start Person: **"I just want a working copy of Metron so I can play
with it."*
1. Download & Run Metron (i.e. pre-built metron binary/vm/container, so no
mvn/git needed and maybe no vagrant/ansible someday).

*Real Metron:* *"I want to deploy Metron for real this time -- like
multi-node in the Cloud."*
2. Configure & Run Ansible Playbook (w/ pre-built metron, so no
mvn/git/vagrant needed).

*Developer: **"I want to help develop Metron."*
3. Fork/Clone Repo, Open in IDE, Edit Code, Run, Commit, PR, Close Ticket.
 (vagrant/ansible for running services single/multi-node locally/remotely).

Thanks,
John Stone

Re: Metron Person Types...

Posted by John <jo...@cephal.com>.
This is great stuff! And I'll offline the Ansible+Maven convo to the ticket
and see if I can get something working here. Thanks David!

Re: Metron Person Types...

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,