Posted to builds@apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2012/05/26 21:58:29 UTC

buildbot wishlist: Simian analysis

Hello;

This is a rather modest wish for you buildbot gurus:
A while ago I asked permission to the author to use
Simian (Similarity analysis) for Apache OpenOffice
and the author kindly accepted.

http://www.harukizaemon.com/simian/

As always we have been busy with the Release and
other stuff and we haven't really used this tool but
it is known that code duplication is a problem in
OpenOffice and it may be a useful option for other
projects as well. If this can be made an option and
there is interest we can go ahead and ask the author
to let us use it for all ASF projects.

best regards,

Pedro.

ps. Yes I am the guy asking infra@ about Coverity
but that is subject for a different thread ;).

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

I'm not member of the infra team, but I have some experience in
buildbot configuration.

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> This is a rather modest wish for you buildbot gurus:
> A while ago I asked permission to the author to use
> Simian (Similarity analysis) for Apache OpenOffice
> and the author kindly accepted.
>
> http://www.harukizaemon.com/simian/
>
> As always we have been busy with the Release and
> other stuff and we haven't really used this tool but
> it is known that code duplication is a problem in
> OpenOffice and it may be a useful option for other
> projects as well. If this can be made an option and
> there is interest we can go ahead and ask the author
> to let us use it for all ASF projects.

That shouldn't be a problem, this is in the faq on the website:
"I am an active supporter of the free software and open source
communities. As such, I provide a free license of Simian for
non-commercial and open source use."

Did you run this tool on the openoffice code already? Do you have
examples of the resulting report you'd like to get out of it?

This tool has some requirements (Java or .NET at least) and needs some
configuration. Maybe you want to run multiple passes, one for the C++
code, one for the Java parts?

I'm sure infra will be quick to help you out if you already have run
this tool on the openoffice code yourself, can describe the
dependencies and (preferably) provide them a script that sets up all
parameters correctly.

> best regards,
>
> Pedro.

[..]