Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Sierra Bravo <si...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/18 19:21:19 UTC

Woes trying to compile a .java file with POI

Dear all
I've been trying to get a .java file compiled with POI. Running Java 1.6 on
Jaunty, I've tried various combinations of the following (with all the three
jar files, both using the command line switch and the CLASSPATH environment
variable):

$ javac -classpath /home/s1b/xls/poi-3.2-FINAL-20081019.jar ReadXls.java

ReadXls.java:1: package org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel does not exist
import org.apache.poi.xssf.usermodel.*;
^
ReadXls.java:2: package org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel does not exist
import org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.*;
^
ReadXls.java:3: package org.apache.poi.ss.util does not exist
import org.apache.poi.ss.util.CellRangeAddress;
(And 13 more of not being able to locate the class files)

Thanks in advance...

s1b

Re: Woes trying to compile a .java file with POI

Posted by Sierra Bravo <si...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again, Dave.

For those who want to get started off immediately, here is a quick-and-dirty
example. What the program does is to read the value of single-cell "Named
Range" from within an Excel file, and print it out. Pls be warned that it
does no error checking whatsoever. The syntax expected is:

$ ./compile ReadRange.java
$ ./run ReadRange MySheet.xls Location

The Java file:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p25042073/ReadRange.java
ReadRange.java

The compile script:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p25042073/compile compile

The run script:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p25042073/run run

This has been tested on POI 3.5 running on Jaunty with Java 1.6 from Sun
(Java-6-Sun).

s1b

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Nightly builds are here: