Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Alan Gerhard <AG...@E-SyncNet.Com> on 2000/09/08 18:05:16 UTC

FW: xalan and xcerses versioning

XALAN developers -
Can you comment on this please ??

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Staub [mailto:estaub@mediaone.net]
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 12:17 PM
To: xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org; AGerhard@E-SyncNet.Com
Subject: RE: xalan and xcerses versioning

>Is there a direct correlation between a version of XALAN and a version of
XERCES ?
>In downloading the XALAN 1.0.1 package, XERCES 1.0.3 is included.

Yes, you should use the version of Xerces which is included with Xalan;
that's why it's there!

>In reading the XALAN documentation, I understand that any version of
>XERCES, or any other DOM parser can be used.

This is not true.

>I bring this up as we are implementing the XALAN and XERCES and I want
>to use the latest bug-free version of XERCES.

Why do you want to use an old version of XALAN with a newer (but not latest)
version of XERCES?

>I am correct in stating that XALAN 1.0.1 will work fine with XERCES 1.2.0
??

Probably not, but a note on the Xalan list might get you a firm answer.
I recall that there were some compatibility issues between newer versions of
Xerces with older Xalan versions.

-Ed Staub