Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dirk <no...@web.de> on 2006/07/04 13:35:00 UTC

Howto make svn _follow_ symbolic links?

I have several projects that share the same code. If i make enhancements
in that code in one project it should be available in all projects.
Hence I link from all projects to one single file.

But I sure don't want these symbolic links in the repository and I won't
use hard links since they can mess things pretty much up when someone
fails to recognize them...

So...
how can I make svn follow symbolic links on add, commit and update?

Thanks,
Dirk

Re: Howto make svn _follow_ symbolic links?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> toolongdidntread.. If it suggests to start another repository just for
> files which are shared by projects, then i rather stick to cvs until svn
> supports to (optional) follow symlinks..

EDONTCARE: use the system that best suits your needs. Also, if you
don't want to inform yourself, please don't rely on others doing it
for you.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Howto make svn _follow_ symbolic links?

Posted by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de>.
On 04.07.06 22:35:20, Dirk wrote:
> Marc Haisenko wrote:
> > No, it doesn't propose that, which is why you should read it ;-)
>
> Ok, I did read it now. I have a directory in every project that
> containes the same code. Let's call that directory misc...

Well, if you really read the section, then you didn't fully understand
it.

> So I did
>
> cd misc (in one project)
> svn editprop (it launches an editor where i enter...)
> >misc    /bla/test/misc

This is wrong. You have to edit the svn:externals property on the
project folder, not the one that you want to have replaces by the
external URL. Also I hope /bla/test/misc is a svn URL.

> So I guess it will now add, commit and update from/to /bla/test/misc
> instead of ./misc????

No, No and yes. svn:externals only does automatic updates, you have to
go to <project>/misc and do a commit in there to checkin any changes
done in misc. After that you have to do an update on all projects that
use the same external.

> Can I delete that ./misc now to make things even
> more complicated or what?

You should first move the misc directory out of all projects into a
separate svn folder. Then you can edit the property on the project
folder and on the next update you'll get the misc folder back.

> To me this seems like a fix for OS' that don't support symbolic links
> because an option that would force svn to follow symbolic links would be
> less a pain to use...

First: This is a subversion mailinglist, this is not a public forum to
discuss the pros and cons of any operating system.

Second: Subversion was built with cross-platform support in mind, so it
has to use the smalles common denominator.

Third: If you don't like Subversion, don't use, but please don't start
such flames. Nobody here is interested in that.

Andreas

--
Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.

Re: Howto make svn _follow_ symbolic links?

Posted by Dirk <no...@web.de>.
Marc Haisenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 July 2006 17:56, Dirk wrote:
>
>>Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>>It doesn't work that way.
>>>
>>>Probably the closest to what you want would be a feature called
>>>"externals":
>>>
>>>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.externals.html
>>>

>>toolongdidntread.. If it suggests to start another repository just for
>>files which are shared by projects, then i rather stick to cvs until svn
>>supports to (optional) follow symlinks..
>>
>>Dirk
>

> No, it doesn't propose that, which is why you should read it ;-)
> 	Marc

Ok, I did read it now. I have a directory in every project that
containes the same code. Let's call that directory misc...

So I did

cd misc (in one project)
svn editprop (it launches an editor where i enter...)
>misc    /bla/test/misc

So I guess it will now add, commit and update from/to /bla/test/misc
instead of ./misc???? Can I delete that ./misc now to make things even
more complicated or what?

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Tuesday 04 July 2006 17:56, Dirk wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > It doesn't work that way.
> >
> > Probably the closest to what you want would be a feature called
> > "externals":
> >
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.advanced.externals.html
> >

> toolongdidntread.. If it suggests to start another repository just for
> files which are shared by projects, then i rather stick to cvs until svn
> supports to (optional) follow symlinks..
>
> Dirk

No, it doesn't propose that, which is why you should read it ;-)
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko
Comdasys AG

Rüdesheimer Straße 7
D-80686 München
Tel:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 0
Fax:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 29
e-mail: haisenko@comdasys.com
http://www.comdasys.com

Re: Howto make svn _follow_ symbolic links?

Posted by Dirk <no...@web.de>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.