Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by "Piotr P. Karwasz" <pi...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/17 21:54:10 UTC

`logging-parent` release

Hi all,

More than 9 months have passed since the release of `logging-parent`
version 5. Since then `org.apache:apache` has done 3 releases. Can we
release version 6 of the artifact?

I am mainly interested in the Maven plugin versions of
`org.apache:apache`, which should guarantee reproducible builds.

Once `logging-parent` 6 is out I would delegate to `apache` the choice
of version of many Maven plugins: the bonus is, we don't get
Dependabot alerts for them.

Piotr

Re: `logging-parent` release

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I should note that the docs in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LOGGING/Logging+Parent+POM+Release+Guide are fairly comprehensive. I’m doing a release right now.
—
Matt Sicker

Re: `logging-parent` release

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: `logging-parent` release

Posted by "Piotr P. Karwasz" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Re: `logging-parent` release

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I would suggest that if you bump the logging parent to use it and then test Log4j
with it and get a successful build then just do it. We don’t need to discuss stuff like
this if it works.

Ralph

Re: `logging-parent` release

Posted by "Piotr P. Karwasz" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Sat, 17 Sept 2022 at 23:54, Piotr P. Karwasz <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once `logging-parent` 6 is out I would delegate to `apache` the choice
> of version of many Maven plugins: the bonus is, we don't get
> Dependabot alerts for them.

I upgraded `logging-parent` in both `release-2.x` and `master`,
delegating all possible settings to the parent.

There is one practical change that you should be aware of: since the
snapshots repository is now inherited from the ASF parent, its id
changed to `apache.snapshots.https`. That could cause authentication
failures, while deploying snapshots.

Piotr