Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Michael Sundell <ms...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 16:11:42 UTC

Passing Hadoop Site Configurations in classpath is not recommended for Local Mode

Hi,

While trying to run Pig in local mode using "pig -x local" I get the
following error:
10/11/04 07:29:18 INFO pig.Main: Logging error messages to:
/Users/some-name/Software/cloudera/hadoop-0.20.2+737/pig_1288880958619.log
2010-11-04 07:29:18,807 [main] WARN
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.HExecutionEngine - Passing
Hadoop Site Configurations in classpath is not recommended for Local Mode
2010-11-04 07:29:18,971 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.Main - ERROR 0:
mapred.system.dir:
/Users/some-name/Software/cloudera/datadir/hadoop-some-name/mapred/system
mentioned in the configuration does not exist

I found the following patch that talks about this issue and about a patch
that generates this error message:

What I'm not clear about is how to address this issue.

I'm using:
pig-0.7.0+16
hadoop-0.20.2+737

Thank you

Re: Passing Hadoop Site Configurations in classpath is not recommended for Local Mode

Posted by Daniel Dai <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>.
This is a defect in Pig 0.7. Pig 0.8 will automatically exclude hadoop
config file in local mode (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1338)

Daniel

Posted by Michael Sundell <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rekha Joshi <re...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

AFAIK, the characteristic of the parameter mapred.system.dir is not conducive to be modified per job.It must be modified on mapred-default.xml, conf/mapred-site.xml.
So why local, I don't recall passing it on non-local mode either, and if passed I don't think it should work, as its final.
The parameters passed on command line usually pertain to the job performance/memory needs of the specific job.Makes sense?

Thanks & Regards,
/Rekha.