Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/09/18 21:40:11 UTC

what to vote on when doing a release

All,

The only TODO item left in defining our release process
(http://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/cutting-a-vcl-release.html) is if and how to use
release candidates.  Part of the release process is for the community to vote
on the release.  For that to happen, a fixed collection of the code needs to
exist so that everyone is voting on the exact same thing (it wouldn't do for
people to vote on HEAD from svn because that could change from one person's
vote to another's).

There are a few options that exist for the fixed collection:

(1) pick a revision number from trunk or a branch
(2) create a tag
(3) go through the steps of making a release artifact, but label it a release
candidate (RC) and distribute it somewhere other than the official
distribution area

Here are the pros and cons I see right now:
(1) pros - very easy for the developers - just pick a revision number and
           we're done
         - because it's so easy, if a vote fails because of something that
           that needs to be fixed, it's easy to fix it and pick a new
           revision number
    cons - not as easy for non-developers (i.e. people who aren't normally
           using SVN to access to code) to test - this may result in fewer
           people testing it, making the release more likely to have bugs
         - it doesn't test the process of creating the artifact

(2) pros - not as easy as #1, but still pretty easy
         - if a vote fails, just create another tag
    cons - same cons as #1, plus:
         - could result in many tags that could make subversion a little
           cluttered

(3) pros - tests the process of creating the artifact
         - easier for non-developers to test so could get better bug
           reports
    cons - more involved, so more effort that has to be repeated if a vote
           fails

Please share your thought on which method you think would be best.  If you can
think of another option that would be better, please share it.  Also, if we
pick one option and decide we don't like it, we can change the process for
the next release.

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
Systems Programmer
Advanced Computing | VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

Josh_Thompson@ncsu.edu
919-515-5323

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: what to vote on when doing a release

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
You are correct Josh.  There is no need to be in the ASF WOT.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: what to vote on when doing a release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 1, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Did you get your "key" where it needs to be ?
>
> On Sep 22, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

>> Based on Kevan's input, we'll go with options 2 and 3 - a tag to
>> make it easy
>> to see what the RC was based off of, and an actual RC artifact that
>> people
>> can vote on.
>>
>> I'll go ahead and add that to the "Cutting a VCL Release" and then
>> start on
>> the process outlined on that page.  I can go ahead and sign it with
>> my key,
>> but I still need to get my key into the ASF WOT somehow.

See http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#keys-policy

You'll want a KEYS file in SVN and in the release dist directory.
Though good to have, it's not necessary to be in the Apache Web of
Trust.

--kevan

Re: what to vote on when doing a release

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: what to vote on when doing a release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
I suggest #2. For the first release I doubt we'll have many tags.

Aaron

--On September 18, 2009 3:40:11 PM -0400 Josh Thompson
<jo...@ncsu.edu> wrote:

> All,
>
> The only TODO item left in defining our release process
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/cutting-a-vcl-release.html) is if and how to
> use  release candidates.  Part of the release process is for the
> community to vote  on the release.  For that to happen, a fixed
> collection of the code needs to  exist so that everyone is voting on the
> exact same thing (it wouldn't do for  people to vote on HEAD from svn
> because that could change from one person's  vote to another's).
>
> There are a few options that exist for the fixed collection:
>
> (1) pick a revision number from trunk or a branch
> (2) create a tag
> (3) go through the steps of making a release artifact, but label it a
> release  candidate (RC) and distribute it somewhere other than the
> official  distribution area
>
> Here are the pros and cons I see right now:
> (1) pros - very easy for the developers - just pick a revision number and
>            we're done
>          - because it's so easy, if a vote fails because of something that
>            that needs to be fixed, it's easy to fix it and pick a new
>            revision number
>     cons - not as easy for non-developers (i.e. people who aren't normally
>            using SVN to access to code) to test - this may result in fewer
>            people testing it, making the release more likely to have bugs
>          - it doesn't test the process of creating the artifact
>
> (2) pros - not as easy as #1, but still pretty easy
>          - if a vote fails, just create another tag
>     cons - same cons as #1, plus:
>          - could result in many tags that could make subversion a little
>            cluttered
>
> (3) pros - tests the process of creating the artifact
>          - easier for non-developers to test so could get better bug
>            reports
>     cons - more involved, so more effort that has to be repeated if a vote
>            fails
>
> Please share your thought on which method you think would be best.  If
> you can  think of another option that would be better, please share it.
> Also, if we  pick one option and decide we don't like it, we can change
> the process for  the next release.
>
> Josh
> - --
> - -------------------------------