Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Martin Mituzas <xi...@hotmail.com> on 2010/02/05 17:03:48 UTC

Using two threads to read data from disk and send out in DataXceiver ?

hi, all
In current hdfs code, when DFSClient reads a file, DataXceiver will create a
thread to read data from its own disk and then transmit the data to
DFSClient via network.  I wonder if the performance will be improved by
using two different threads for reading disk and sending out seperately? Any
comments?

Re: Using two threads to read data from disk and send out in DataXceiver ?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Martin,

Not sure what you mean - why would it be faster to split it into two
threads? Keep in mind that there is a TCP send buffer so if the client
is reading faster than the disk, the server's sends won't block
anyway.

-Todd