Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2010/10/12 00:53:17 UTC

Re: Where is the lock file?

: I've looked through the configuration file. I can see where it defines the
: lock type and I can see the unlock configuration. But I don't see where it
: specifies the lock file. Where is it? What is its name?

as mentioned in the stack trace you pasted, the name of the lock file in
question is "write.lock" however what's really odd is that based on your
stack trace you seem to be using the SingleInstanceLockFactory (ie:
"<lockType>single</lockType>") which means the lock file is never written
to disk -- it's an entirely in memory Lock object.

If you are getting that stack trace, that suggests that something is
seriously wack with your Solr setup -- is it possible you have multiple
isntances of Solr in the same JVM trying to use the same directory? (ie:
an instance that wasn't shutdown cleanly, and then you started up a new
instance using war hot deploy or something like it?)

: Also, to speed up nutch, we changed the configuration to start several map
: tasks at once. Is nutch trying to kick off several solr sessions at once and
: is that causing messages like the above? Should we just change the lock to
: simple?

i don't know enough about nutch to know what this means ... if Nutch is
starting up multiple Solr servers (in the same JVM) then this might
explain the exception above ... using a "simple" lock isn't going to make
hte problem go away though: only one Solr instance can be writting to an
index at a time.

-Hoss

Re: Where is the lock file?

Posted by Bharat Jain <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

   We are also running into unusually high number of LockObtainFailedException
in our production environment. We have a very simple setup. A master and a
slave with multi-core setup. We are using SOLR 1.3. What is the use of
lockType?

Thanks
Bharat Jain