Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl> on 2024/01/19 09:57:42 UTC

[VOTE][LAZY] Support for UUIDs encoded as Fixed[16]

Hey everyone,

Last December I proposed support for encoding UUIDs as fixed[16]
<https://lists.apache.org/thread/h4lvc2lk194om6cjm76wzosm22cop2xw>, as this
has several advantages
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16_oSWrEM7AFUCTe0uuraAEHxywezLfoEz5ahzwvhGUk/edit#heading=h.43xuauwfk7ow>.
I know that this was over the holidays, so I would like to revisit this.
Let me know if there are any questions or concerns, or feel free to jump in
on the PR <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2672>. There are also
implementations already for Java
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2652> (thanks
Christophe!), and one for Rust (thanks Martin!). If there are no concerns,
I would like to move this forward next week, and also see if we can start
the release process.

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Support for UUIDs encoded as Fixed[16]

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
I went ahead and merged the spec-update. Thanks everyone for the input, and
I'm looking forward to getting this out!

Kind regards, Fokko

Posted by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <op...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jack Klamer <jf...@gmail.com>.
fixed promotable to** strings

Posted by Jack Klamer <jf...@gmail.com>.
+1 for what it's worth.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Support for UUIDs encoded as Fixed[16]

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.