Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/19 17:11:25 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL Cllient Certificate Requirements Question

I have a single server with a multiple vhost SSL certificate from a
recognized CA.  All vhosts are using SSL/TLS successfully and
exclusively with HSTS enforcement.

I would now like to add SSL client certificates for individual vhost
private directory access and plan to do so using a self-generated,
self-signed CA certificate (self-CA) set up, with one certificate per
authorized user and vhost.  My question for my set up is this:

  Does the client browser have to import anything other than its
assigned SSL client certificate?

One source I've found says I will also have to have my self-CA
certificate available for import by each client browser but another
source says no (I can provide the sources later when I get access to
my own computer).  The Apache 2.4 docs, as I interpret them, imply
that they are two separate things and only the single client
certificate will have to be imported since the session SSL connection
is created through the widely-recognized CA certificate.

(I apologize for any unclear terminology--I am still trying to sort it all out.)

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

RE: [users@httpd] SSL Cllient Certificate Requirements Question

Posted by Juan Vidanez <Ju...@vcint.com>.
You https vhost could looks like:

<Virtualhost TEMPLATE_IP:443>

  ServerName TEMPLATE_SERVERNAME.example.com
  DocumentRoot /export/public

  ErrorLog        /usr/apache/logs/www.example.com_error_log
  CustomLog       "|/usr/apache/bin/rotatelogs   RewriteEngine On
  RewriteOptions inherit

  DeflateBufferSize 8096
  DeflateFilterNote ratio
  DeflateMemLevel 9

  <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
    # Don't compress images or txt
    SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|txt|lx2|pdf)$ no-gzip dont-vary
  </IfModule>

  <Directory "/export/public">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>

  SSLEngine On
  SSLCertificateFile  /usr/apache/ssl/certs/www.example.com/server.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/apache/ssl/certs/www.example.com/server.key
  SSLCACertificateFile /usr/apache/ssl/certs/intermediate.crt
</VirtualHost>

> On 7/19/2012 10:11 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> I have a single server with a multiple vhost SSL certificate from a
>> recognized CA.  All vhosts are using SSL/TLS successfully and
>> exclusively with HSTS enforcement.
>>
>> I would now like to add SSL client certificates for individual vhost
>> private directory access and plan to do so using a self-generated,
>> self-signed CA certificate (self-CA) set up, with one certificate per
>> authorized user and vhost.  My question for my set up is this:
>>
>>   Does the client browser have to import anything other than its
>> assigned SSL client certificate?

> Since your servers are signed by a known CA, the browsers will only need
> to have a private key/certificate imported to function. In your httpd
> vhost, you will place your self-signed CA certificate (the one that
> signs the client certs) in the file pointed to by SSLCACertificateFile.

Thanks, Daniel!

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.

--