Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Valentin Mahrwald <vm...@googlemail.com> on 2011/06/15 20:13:34 UTC

Java 5 compatibility testing in build

Hi,

I have got a use case where I would like to distribute a couple of Aries modules to a client on Java 5. Naturally, even the projects that use Java 5 parents don't quite work outright because everything gets compiled on Java6 - as was agreed a while ago - so in a couple of places Java6 API calls have sneaked in.

What I would like to do is use the animal-sniffler plugin (http://mojo.codehaus.org/animal-sniffer-maven-plugin/) to check compile class files for usage of Java 6 APIs. It adds a bit of overhead to the build step but would ensure that projects that claim to be Java 5 compatible actually are without forcing all projects to move down (which I believe we can't even do since there were some definite Java6 prereqs). Also doing it that way let's us continue use @Override on implemented interface methods ;)

Thoughts / objections ?

Regards,

Valentin

Re: Java 5 compatibility testing in build

Posted by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com>.
I think it is a good idea.

Thanks
Emily

--
Thanks
Emily

Re: Java 5 compatibility testing in build

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi, sounds good to me.

--
Alasdair Nottingham