Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/15 18:58:00 UTC

Protocol Testing

Kenny,

> > The IMAP proposal(s) certainly need a champion.  :-)  Perhaps you could
get
> > into them, and talk with Kenny about his focusing on some IMAP tests for
> > you.  He is working on RFC-based protocol tests, but I don't know the
> > status.

> Currently I'm squeaking in time here and there to actually teach myself
> the ins and outs of the protocol. I've read the IMAP rfc and I'm going
> through the SMTP rfc right now.

Everyone has limits on their time.  :-)

Why not pick one RFC at a time, do simple protocol tests for each section,
post each as you do it, and build that way?  That way people would see how
things are progressing and could start using the tests, and you'd get
feedback during the process.

Since you've read the IMAP RFC, and since we think that SMTP is pretty
stable right now, does it make sense for you to start by doing protocol
tests for IMAP?  That would be helpful for people who want to start working
on the IMAP support.

	--- Noel

Re: Protocol Testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Noel,

> Everyone has limits on their time.  :-)
>
> Why not pick one RFC at a time, do simple protocol tests for each section,
> post each as you do it, and build that way?  That way people would see how
> things are progressing and could start using the tests, and you'd get
> feedback during the process.

Yeah, that is my preferred method, but coming down from the holidays has
only left me bits of time that aren't in front of a computer. So, being
able to read in line at the grocery store or stuff like that has been my
only way to make forward progress.

> Since you've read the IMAP RFC, and since we think that SMTP is pretty
> stable right now, does it make sense for you to start by doing protocol
> tests for IMAP?  That would be helpful for people who want to start working
> on the IMAP support.

I think I've found a way to find more computer time to actually do this,
  and this sounds like a really good idea, so I'll start moving in this
direction. :)

Kenny