Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/19 00:50:20 UTC

Determining svn version

Hi,
Perhaps a question for the dev list, but I've just pulled the latest
version from svn, r1603656, according to the output of svn. After compiling
and running it with --version, it reports:

# spamassassin --version
SpamAssassin version 3.4.1-r1567128

Did I do something wrong? Where did it get this version information from?
This number exists nowhere in the source or even in an strace of the
binary. Where is this release info stored?

Also, are there any especially egregious reasons why I shouldn't run this
in production, other than it obviously not being a production release? I'd
otherwise like to take advantage of the recent bugfixes announced on the
list, and willing to risk it.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Determining svn version

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
> Perhaps a question for the dev list, but I've just pulled the latest
> version from svn, r1603656, according to the output of svn. After compiling
> and running it with --version, it reports:
>
> # spamassassin --version
> SpamAssassin version 3.4.1-r1567128
>
> Did I do something wrong? Where did it get this version information from?
> This number exists nowhere in the source or even in an strace of the
> binary. Where is this release info stored?

Look for @EXTRA_VERSION in SpamAssassin.pm

It comes from an SVN tag in that file. It will only change when a revision
to SpamAssassin.pm is committed, it doesn't follow "the last commit
anywhere in the SA source tree".

That bit apparently gets commented out when building SA for official
release. You're seeing it because you're building from SVN trunk. Take a
look in build/README.

   All I could think about was this bear is so close to me I can
   see its teeth. I could have kissed it. I wished I had a gun.
                                              -- Alyson Jones-Robinson
  Today: SWMBO's Birthday

Re: Determining svn version

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 6/18/2014 6:50 PM, Alex wrote:
> # spamassassin --version
> SpamAssassin version 3.4.1-r1567128
>
> Did I do something wrong? Where did it get this version information
> from? This number exists nowhere in the source or even in an strace of
> the binary. Where is this release info stored?
No, that version number is based on the version of one file in the code,
spamassassin.raw.
> Also, are there any especially egregious reasons why I shouldn't run
> this in production, other than it obviously not being a production
> release? I'd otherwise like to take advantage of the recent bugfixes
> announced on the list, and willing to risk it.
I run trunk in production and as a project, I feel that we keep trunk at
an acceptable level for that usage.  You get the latest bug fixes, some
new features and things that are dangerous typically require
configuration to enable.

regards,
KAM

Re: Determining svn version

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> Perhaps a question for the dev list, but I've just pulled the latest
>> version from svn, r1603656, according to the output of svn.
>
> Should be alright. The Subversion database of ASF is common to multiple
> projects, so revision numbers do monotonically increase, but not
> every number corresponds to the SpamAssassin project.
>
> According to 'svn log' the most recent change was
>   r1603518 2014-06-18 16:48:04 UTC
> so your r1603656 is fine, it includes all today's SpamAssassin changes.
>
>> After compiling and running it with --version, it reports:
>>
>> # spamassassin --version
>> SpamAssassin version 3.4.1-r1567128
>
>> Did I do something wrong? Where did it get this version information from?
>> This number exists nowhere in the source or even in an strace of the
>> binary. Where is this release info stored?
>
> Strange, mine reports 3.4.1-r1567215.
> Could it be that you ran and older spamassassin copy?
>
> I believe the r1567215 comes from the most recent check-in
> of the file spamassassin.raw (some time in February), as
> updated by the 'svn ci' itself - so it is not very indicative
> of how recent your entire code set really is.

If I check-out the latest again, I see this:
A    Mail-SpamAssassin-3.4.1/rules/20_uri_tests.cf
A    Mail-SpamAssassin-3.4.1/rules/v330.pre
A    Mail-SpamAssassin-3.4.1/rules/STATISTICS-set1.txt
 U   Mail-SpamAssassin-3.4.1
Checked out revision 1603703.

So these numbers must be being generated like you said; that is, along with
other projects.

> Also, are there any especially egregious reasons why I shouldn't run this
> in production, other than it obviously not being a production release? I'd
> otherwise like to take advantage of the recent bugfixes announced on the
> list, and willing to risk it.

> Should be alright. No worse than 3.4.0, likely better :)

Awesome.

John wrote:
> That bit apparently gets commented out when building SA for official
release. You're seeing it because
> you're building from SVN trunk. Take a look in build/README.

Ah, there it is. Great, thanks so much guys.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Determining svn version

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
Alex,

> Perhaps a question for the dev list, but I've just pulled the latest
> version from svn, r1603656, according to the output of svn.

Should be alright. The Subversion database of ASF is common to multiple
projects, so revision numbers do monotonically increase, but not
every number corresponds to the SpamAssassin project.

According to 'svn log' the most recent change was
   r1603518 2014-06-18 16:48:04 UTC
so your r1603656 is fine, it includes all today's SpamAssassin changes.

> After compiling and running it with --version, it reports:
>
> # spamassassin --version
> SpamAssassin version 3.4.1-r1567128

> Did I do something wrong? Where did it get this version information
> from?
> This number exists nowhere in the source or even in an strace of the
> binary. Where is this release info stored?

Strange, mine reports 3.4.1-r1567215.
Could it be that you ran and older spamassassin copy?

I believe the r1567215 comes from the most recent check-in
of the file spamassassin.raw (some time in February), as
updated by the 'svn ci' itself - so it is not very indicative
of how recent your entire code set really is.

> Also, are there any especially egregious reasons why I shouldn't run
> this
> in production, other than it obviously not being a production release?
> I'd
> otherwise like to take advantage of the recent bugfixes announced on
> the
> list, and willing to risk it.

Should be alright. No worse than 3.4.0, likely better :)

   Mark