Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Nitin N <N....@blr.spcnl.co.in> on 2001/09/18 11:04:55 UTC

Support ?

Hello ,
Can we get any official support [Maintenance support ] if we get any problem
in Xerces Parser ?

thanks & Regards ,
Nitin N

Nitin Naghate
Executive - Software Development
Siemens Communication Software ,
6th floor, SN Towers,
M.G.Road,
Bangalore
Tel(Off):080-5062400 Extn- 4511

Re: Support ?

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Nitin N" <N....@blr.spcnl.co.in> writes:

> Can we get any official support [Maintenance support ] if we get any
> problem in Xerces Parser ?

Hi Nitin,

Being from Bangalore, you shouldn't have any trouble finding support
for Xerces. One of the major benefits of Open Source or Free Software
projects is that you have the code. You may make any modifications you
like. You can hire any software contractors to maintain and modify the
code. That is the business model of my company, Open Informatics.

So, for example, if there are features that you wish to see in Xerces
that don't currently exist (like complete support for XML Schemas),
you could contract that work to any group in Bangalore, and then
contribute it to the project. That way you get the functionality you
want at a competitive market price, and the project benefits from new
functionality, and you derive future benefits, because the project
maintainers will likely maintain your code as part of the project, and
you won't have to dedicate more internal resources to fund maintenance
and upkeep.

If you want to read more about the benefits of Open Source, you could
read a review article I wrote recently:

http://www.openinformatics.org/bib-os/index.html

Cheers,
jas.