Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2008/07/25 23:20:24 UTC

Maven 2.0.10-RC3 - Please Test!

Hi again,

We've solved all of the issues brought up in response to the 2.0.10-RC2
release candidate, minus MNG-3678 (which I've postponed to 2.0.11 so we
can take a look at whether this is happening by design, and what
resolution we want to pursue for it).

The issues we've solved for this release candidate are:

- MNG-3679
- MNG-3680
- MNG-3684

...in addition, Brett took care of the verbose output related to
artifact resolution that were popping up.

Again, for a full list of issues resolved so far for the 2.0.10 release,
see:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&styleName=Html&version=14112

Please give this release candidate a whirl, and let me know if you have
any problems. I'm trying to collect all issues in JIRA with fix-for of
2.0.10, so if you want to file a JIRA ticket for your issue and include
a failing test case, that will make my job that much quicker.

Thanks,

-john

--
John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)

Re: Maven 2.0.10-RC3 - Please Test!

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
This appears to be another permutation of MNG-2739. I've reopened it.

-john

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Sorry, the URL for RC3 is:

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Rollback.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
the trick at this point is to figure out what rolling back to -beta-2
will undo in terms of our JIRA count for the release, and where the
associated code is. I'll get started on this today.

-john

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 28-Jul-08, at 9:04 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I don't think the speed with with beta-3 and beta-4 were done are in
> sync with the rigor that's been going into the 2.0.x releases.

Sorry, switched timezones and without coffee. Let me say that again:

I don't think the speed with which beta-3/4 were done are in sync with
the rigor that's been going into the 2.0.x releases.

> I think beta-2 should have been cut as 1.0 and then moved one.
> Applied real bug fixes but we did a bunch of things to the API and
> sweep changes to implementations and I don't think we can let a
> library destabilize the 2.0.x releases even if the potential is low.
> Wagon problems seem to be cropping up and it's just safer to go back.
>
> On 28-Jul-08, at 8:58 AM, John Casey wrote:
>
>> What really concerns me is that this release has been in the wild
>> for quite awhile now, and this issue is just coming to light.
>> Plenty of people use proxies, so it's not like it's that shady a
>> corner of the implementation.
>>
>> I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if the test suite for wagon
>> is good enough to give us confidence in moving forward without a
>> substantial soak period in something like Maven (as could happen if
>> we make the change asap after 2.0.10, to give people a lot of time
>> using it in the run-up to 2.0.11).
>>
>> Beta-2 might be inferior in some ways, but it's a known quantity.
>> At this point I'm really concerned about dashing ahead with -beta-4
>> after -beta-3 had this sort of latent issue.
>>
>> Just my $0.02.
>>
>> -john
>>
>> Brett Porter wrote:
>>> I'll leave it up to you. I still think it is worth the upgrade, if
>>> only to get proper scp group permission setting available finally.
>>> beta-3 has been in place for a month, and there's a couple of
>>> other things to revert if this is done, so there's risk both ways.
>>> The beta-4 JARs are staged and the integration tests for proxying
>>> are in place if you want to try it out - it was a one line fix for
>>> a missing variable assignment, and aside from that there are just
>>> two NPE fixes that had been reported earlier.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Brett

>>> --
>>> Brett Porter
>>> brett@apache.org
>>> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/
>>
>> --
>> John Casey
>> Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
>> Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp/

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> jason at sonatype dot com

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven 2.0.10-RC3 - Please Test!

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Thanks for the time on all of this. I had made a note locally to take a
look at the tests in wagon to see what could be improved once I got
2.0.10 out the door, but you've beaten me to it.

I'll hold off on the RC4 I was about to announce, if you're releasing it
tomorrow, and we can try pushing it with -beta-4 to see how it works, if
you like. It shouldn't be too hard by now to figure out what needs to
change in the maven code to support this...IIRC beyond POMs and a couple
ITs' ranges, it's just StringWagon.

-john

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I think you're misunderstanding me: I was talking about test coverage
within _wagon_ itself. Since wagon is on a separate release cycle to
Maven core, Maven releases have to consume released versions of wagon.
This means 72h of voting and so forth before releasing a new wagon version.

I understand this is a lot like interpolation changes within
maven-project, but there is one important difference: when problems
arise with interpolation during RCs, we have a lot of flexibility WRT
fixing those issues, since it's in the Maven codebase (or else in a
dependency that has more relaxed criteria for a release).

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 29/07/2008, at 2:05 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Same here. I think that before we go ahead and put out beta-4, we
> should
> have significant coverage in Maven Its to capture the integration.

I had already added a number of tests over recent times related to
this. The touch points with Maven are actually quite few and I would
say we have them all covered.

> Since
> the .10 is on a branch, you can put out a snapshot of beta-4, bump the
> .11 branch to use it and add some Its that cover everything like
> proxies
> etc. I don't think we should move forward with beta-4 until this
> happens.

Done on 2.0.x and trunk.

Independently of the decision about what to include in 2.0.10/2.0.11,
I hope you'll test and vote on the wagon release. There's nothing
wrong with having frequent releases with small changes such as this one.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Do we have a list of exactly what would have to be rolled back?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

2008/7/31 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> Would it behoove the Javadoc plugin developers to test for the CLASSPATH
> variable? Issue a warning instead of blowing up? I know it's not a plugin
> problem, per se, but it obviously leads some people to believe it is.

The last entry in the FAQ [1] already explains that: if your CLASSPATH
env var has incorrect env variable, the javadoc will crash on windows.
It is a known Sun issue (6219854).

IMHO it is enough from an user point of view (we have also jira so the
user could found it easily). I don't think that Javadoc Plugin needs
to display warning for a given Sun issue (even less to make a
workaround).

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-javadoc-plugin/src/site/fml/faq.fml

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
This is not the case on my machine. I've been very careful NOT to set
M2_HOME, JAVA_HOME, or CLASSPATH on my machine. The first two are set
using a mvn delegating script in ~/bin that sets the maven version and
jdk version before calling the real maven script. I've just verified
that CLASSPATH is not set in my bash shell.

BTW, I'm running on OS X.

-john

Stephen Connolly wrote:
> check if the CLASSPATH environment variable is set. it blows up javadoc
> if it is
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On 31 Jul 2008, at 18:06, John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>> I can't even get the javadoc plugin to run on my machine under Maven
>> 2.0.9, not with JDK 1.4 or JDK 1.6...so I'm afraid I'm of little use
>> on these issues. I can give you some time to distill a failing test
>> case that I can pursue, if you like...
>>
>> Let me know. Maybe I'll cut the RC4 and we can test vs. that.
>>
>> -john
>>
>> Vincent Siveton wrote:
>>> Hi John,
>>> With RC-3, Javadoc ITs (MJAVADOC-172 and MJAVADOC-194) failed.
>>> Sounds like an issue in the invoker-plugin (defined as 1.2 in the
>>> pom). Unfortunately, I tried with 1.2.1-snap without success. So it is
>>> probably in the core.
>>> Could you have a glance? Last step before calling a vote ;)
>>> Cheers,
>>> Vincent

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Maybe your pb was related to CLASSPATH as said by Stephen.

FYI I am able to built it with 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 and mvn 2.0.9 on two
stations and Hudson was happy yesterday.
Unfortunately, with rc3, it's failing on twice.
The twice javadoc ITs seem to not call javadoc goal, and so apidocs
output dir don't exist.

I will waiting for RC4.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Hi Vincent,

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
We're already started the RC process so only blocking issues and regressions are being included.

Is there a chance to get maven-2.0.10 running with maven-scm-1.1?

You know, I'd like to see native git support in maven ;)

LieGrü,
strub

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
The core release doesn't have any dependency on SCM - I think you are
looking for native support in the release plugin?

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 28-Jul-08, at 9:09 AM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> I tested RC3 on several projects with success.
> Note : I don't use http proxy in this environment

Right, changing the functionality of something the vast majority of
people don't use logically means that demographic gets nailed. I think
some of the additions are nice, it just needs to be tested more before
sticking it in 2.0.x. We've been doing so well with the last couple
releases in keeping things stable. I don't want to back track now.

> cheers
>
> Arnaud
>
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:20 PM, John Casey
> <jd...@commonjava.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> We've solved all of the issues brought up in response to the 2.0.10-
>> RC2
>> release candidate, minus MNG-3678 (which I've postponed to 2.0.11
>> so we can
>> take a look at whether this is happening by design, and what
>> resolution we
>> want to pursue for it).
>>
>> The issues we've solved for this release candidate are:
>>
>> - MNG-3679
>> - MNG-3680
>> - MNG-3684
>>
>> ...in addition, Brett took care of the verbose output related to
>> artifact
>> resolution that were popping up.
>>
>> Again, for a full list of issues resolved so far for the 2.0.10
>> release,
>> see:
>>

>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&styleName=Html&version=14112
>>
>> Please give this release candidate a whirl, and let me know if you
>> have any
>> problems. I'm trying to collect all issues in JIRA with fix-for of
>> 2.0.10,
>> so if you want to file a JIRA ticket for your issue and include a
>> failing
>> test case, that will make my job that much quicker.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -john
>>
>> --
>> John Casey
>> Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
>> Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp/

> Arnaud HERITIER
> OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
> www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
> ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
> www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: Maven 2.0.10-RC3 - Please Test!

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.