Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Arne Koewing <Ar...@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE> on 2002/11/08 14:09:15 UTC

somebody working on ra_pipe ?

Hi!

I'm actualy trying to use subversion for all of my own projects, but for
the work i do at the unversity i sadly can't use it.
(I've just an login and may not start any servers ont the machine, but i
want remote access)

With CVS this wasn't ever a problem (CVS over ssh).
at the moment this is he only thing I can imagine where CVS is superior to
subversion.

Can you telle me what's the curent state of ra_pipe ?
any further ideas how to implement it?
can i help?

Arne

Re: somebody working on ra_pipe ?

Posted by "Edward S. Marshall" <es...@logic.net>.
On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 12:53, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> If you can connect trhought ssh then you can also start an apache server
> on a hight (over 1024) port i think.

Until your friendly sysadmin comes along and smacks you. ;-)

Firewalls and local access controls will also cause problems here; think
SourceForge, where you can ssh into an account, but you can't run public
services (even if you could bind a port, which I don't think you can on
their systems).

-esm (smacking users for fun and profit)

--
Edward S. Marshall <es...@logic.net>
http://esm.logic.net/

Re: somebody working on ra_pipe ?

Posted by Daniele Nicolodi <da...@grinta.net>.
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:09:15PM +0100, Arne Koewing wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm actualy trying to use subversion for all of my own projects, but for
> the work i do at the unversity i sadly can't use it.
> (I've just an login and may not start any servers ont the machine, but i
> want remote access)

If you can connect trhought ssh then you can also start an apache server
on a hight (over 1024) port i think.

Ciao
--
Daniele
		    --- http://www.grinta.net ---

Re: somebody working on ra_pipe ?

Posted by mark benedetto king <bk...@inquira.com>.
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:09:15PM +0100, Arne Koewing wrote:

> Can you telle me what's the curent state of ra_pipe ?

There is someone working on it.  That person is just highly unreliable.
You might have guessed by now who that person is. :-)

I've just created a branch on which to commit the work that is done.

> any further ideas how to implement it?
> can i help?

There's still plenty more work remaining.  I changed plans mid-stream
to use XMLRPC-EPI, which invalidated most of the work I had already done.

Check out the branch: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/ra-pipe-dev

I'll be committing my work there until it's stable enough to merge into
the trunk.

--ben