Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com> on 2004/11/24 13:11:31 UTC

[OT] Re: JavaScript/JSP Question

This question is not tomcat specific so I'm marking [OT].

I believe Javascript has the same startsWith/endsWith string
functionality that Java has.
You should be able to simulate that pretty easily.

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 23:33, Jack Lauman wrote:
> I'm using the following JavaScript to create lists of restaurants by
> Location and Cuisine.
> Is there a way to modify the script to accept a value for the restaurant
> name that would
> be similar to a %LIKE% function in MySQL when the user hits the submit
> button?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
> <script language="JavaScript">
> <!--
> function MM_jumpMenu(targ,selObj,restore, field){ //v3.0
>
> eval(targ+".location='http://www.mydomain.com/restaurant/filter.jsp?field="+field+"&value="+selObj.options[selObj.selectedIndex].value+"'");
>
>  if (restore) selObj.selectedIndex=0;
> }
> //-->
> </script>
>
> <><form name="selectLocation" method="get"
> location="http://www.mydomain.com/restaurant/filter.jsp">
> <input type="hidden" name="field" value="city">
> <select name="location" size="1"
> onChange="MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,0,'city')">

Re: [OT] Re: JavaScript/JSP Question

Posted by er...@swapsimple.com.
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:11:31AM -0500, Ben Souther wrote:
> This question is not tomcat specific so I'm marking [OT].
>
> I believe Javascript has the same startsWith/endsWith string
> functionality that Java has.
> You should be able to simulate that pretty easily.

	js also has full regular expression support through the RegExp class
and the String.match function.   Although that's might be a more difficult
choice for exactly emulating the database LIKE function as all the other
regexp features would need to be escaped.

eric