Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2002/07/13 15:19:18 UTC

xerces 2.0.2 and release

Shouldn't we ship with the latest xerces release?

I was desperatly trying to upgrade everything correctly to have it shipped
with the upcoming release but failed. Couldn't figure out what's wrong (see
thread xerces 2.0.2)

Anyone else a try?

I also asked dims who did it last time...
but he hasn't yet looked into it (I guess)
--
Torsten

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Saturday 13 July 2002 16:18, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> I built my own version using Xerces 2.0.2 and had no problems.

...for it worked with resin - but not with tomcat
--
Torsten

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Jörg Heinicke <Jo...@gmx.de>.
> On Saturday 13 July 2002 18:19, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> > I added xerces-2.0.2.jar to the xml-cocoon2\lib\core\ and changed the
> > jars.xml. (The same for Xalan, FOP and Lucene.) Subsequently I built th
> > webapp and had no problem. I tested Xalan, Xerces and FOP. We use
> > current Lucene since a few weeks within a project (with Cocoon 2.0.1).
> >
> > Joerg
>
> ...that what I tried first - which servlet engine were you using exactl
> y?
> --
> Torsten

I use Tomcat 4.0.4 LE for JDK 1.4 from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.4/bin/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-LE-jdk14.zip.

Joerg

http://www.gmx.net

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release [VOTE]

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>> Or maybe in this case its no big deal.
>>

>at least that's what I hoped...
>
>I don't have a strong opinion upgrading the 2.0.x tree either because we are
>using HEAD but I thought when we ship a new stable release we should also
>ship the latest stable releases we can find. So for xerces it would be the
>2.0.2 version.
>
>Upgrade often with small changes or upgrade only from time to time with big
>changes - I personally prefer the first one.

Yup.  Generally I agree.  (speaking generally of course, since I know
nothing about whats in the new
xerces and xalans).  Though if these happen to be dud releases or
horribly incompatible releases of
xerces and xalan well there's always Cocoon 2.0.4 ;-)

-Andy

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> >just for hsqldb specifically?
>
> Dunno about the rest.  I speak about what I know something about.
>  HSQLDB is not really suitable for
> a production system (very slow) so its mostly used in Cocoon for
> development and for the examples.  2.1 is
> the development edition of cocoon.  Because the HSQLDB shutdown bug is
> reasonably annoying, upgrading to the
> development version for the development edition of cocoon seems rational
> as it would assist development :-)
>
> I don't really have a strong opinion about upgrading the 2.0.x tree.  It
> seems minor but it also seems reasonble to wait there
> for the production edition.
>
> I find myself frequently frustrated by versioning issues with Xerces,
> Xalan and friends, I don't know what is in the
> new versions or if they'll clash with existing software in production or
> with various things I'd use in Cocoon, so I can't
> say when/if I'd like to upgrade to them and hurt now, or hurt later ;-)

yepp... I know what you mean :-(

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
<snip/>

> > So, what should be put in the release...
> >
> > [ ] lucene 1.2-rc2  -> lucene 1.2    (no code change)
>
> +1, should not contain significant differences.

+0

> > [ ] fop 0.20.3      -> fop 0.20.4    (sight change for logging)
>
> +0.5, why not if it works.

if some people can confirm it works +0.5

> > [ ] xerces 2.0.0    -> xerces 2.0.2
>
> +0, don't know.

+1, finally the AttributesImpl got fixed

> > [ ] batik-all 1.5b2 -> batik 1.5b3
>
> +1, provided all samples still work.

+0

RE: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

http://localhost:8080/cocoon/search/welcome?

> Yep :)  Never tried it before :)
>
> So, what should be put in the release...
>
> [ ] lucene 1.2-rc2  -> lucene 1.2    (no code change)

+1, should not contain significant differences.

> [ ] fop 0.20.3      -> fop 0.20.4    (sight change for logging)

+0.5, why not if it works.

> [ ] xerces 2.0.0    -> xerces 2.0.2

+0, don't know.

> [ ] batik-all 1.5b2 -> batik 1.5b3

+1, provided all samples still work.

> any more?

[ ] hsqldb 1.61 -> 1.70RC6j

+0, I want to wait for final release.

Vadim

RE: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.

RE: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: John Morrison [mailto:john.r.morrison@ntlworld.com]
>
> > From: Joerg Heinicke [mailto:joerg.heinicke@gmx.de]
> >
> > I built my own version using Xerces 2.0.2 and had no problems.
>
> Did you need to move/copy into the servlet engine or did you manage
> to make it run solely within the webapp?
>
> > What about the current release versions of Lucene 1.2 and Fop
0.20.4?

> Updated both in head.  However, FOP's changed it's loging mechanism
> and I think it can be tied into Cocoon's better so I'm +0 on adding
> it to the release.  I don't know how to test Lucene :(

Doesn't this work for you: http://localhost:8080/cocoon/search/welcome?

http://localhost:8080/cocoon/search/findIt?queryString=title%3AXSP+fruit
returns:

100 % 0
http://localhost:8080/cocoon/documents/userdocs/xsp/logicsheet.html
56 % 1
http://localhost:8080/cocoon/documents/userdocs/xsp/xsp-internals.html

(This is using 2.0.3 release, lucene-1.2-rc2.jar)

Vadim

RE: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Saturday 13 July 2002 16:11, John Morrison wrote:
> I can get it to work with TC 4.0.4-b3, need to replace the version
> of xerces in common/lib with the newer one.  Downloading 4.0.4 as I
> type.  I'll try it in there too.  The only other TC I know about is
> 4.1.7-beta.

hm... replace the tomcat one - I didn't try that...
-
Torsten

RE: xerces 2.0.2 and release

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.