Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com> on 2000/04/19 09:54:59 UTC

FO / Tex

While working on images, I was wondering something :

should FOP (and FO process) behave like Tex ?
That is : permit floating objects (images, tables, figures, etc.).
I don't know if it's written in the spec, but if these objects can't fit in
the portion left of the page, can FOP go on rendering text until a new page
and then render the object ?

It could be very cool...

Eric.

_______________________________________

Eric SCHAEFFER
eschaeffer@posterconseil.com

POSTER CONSEIL
118 rue de Tocqueville
75017 PARIS
FRANCE
Tel. : 33-140541058
Fax : 33-140541059
_______________________________________

------------------------- http://ApacheCon.Com --------------------

Re: FO / Tex

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
The XSL spec has fo:float and fo:footnote out-of-line objects. The former
behaves like the things we are familiar with in TeX. From clause 6.10.2:

The fo:float formatting object holds a sequence formatting objects that is
to be presented in a conditional-area at the top of an instance of a region
with the same name as the region into which the fo:float flow object is
distributed. The content of the fo:float flow object is not placed where the
flow object is distributed, but is instead placed, out-of-line, in the next
instance of the region with the same name for which there is room for the
content of the fo:float. Such content might be a figure, a table or other
chunk of content that is to be kept together and need not disrupt the flow
of the content around it.

Arved